What's new

Calibration help (1 Viewer)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Im using DVE to calibrate my speakers.

I have 2 fronts, a center, 2 surrounds, and 2 surround rears (and an svs) hooked to a Denon 3803.

When the disk gets to the rear speakers, instead of playing one at a time, like it does for the other speakers (including the non-existant Phantoms) it plays both rears at the same time??? I have 2 seperate rear speakers... How do I calibrate these? The Denon has seperate internal test tones for each of the rear speakers... Am I doing something wrong on DVE?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
are you certain your speakers are connected properly?

are you certain you are playing it in dolby digital?

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Speakers are hooked up right...

Receiver reads "DolbyD EX DVD"

Whats the EX mean?

There doesnt seem to be a chapter or track for discrete left and right rear surrounds on the DVE DVD...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
DD is a discrete 5.1 encode/decode method only. EX matrix derives a single surround-back channel, which is recommended to be fed to two speakers to eliminate the reversal effect. It sounds like your rear backs are in mono, as they should be, unless you are applying more advanced processing to create stereo rear backs, such as Ultra 2, logic 7, etc.

There are no discrete surround back channels for DD. Only for DTS-ES discrete, and the titles that contain that are relatively few.

you are not doing anything wrong, this is how it should be.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Even DTS-ES Discrete is not discrete for two back channels. Like the matrixed schemes, it only outputs a single back channel. This single back channel can be output to a single speaker or two speakers, depending on the configuration you want.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
So to add to this, how is the best way to calibrate a 7.1 system? The DVE disc and my Avia disc only have discrete channels for 5.1. If played in DD-EX it is matrixing the back surrounds. I was thinking I would unhook the rear surrounds and calibrate only the front five, then use the internal test tones to balance the rears to match the rest. Is that the best way? OR is there a disc with 6/7.1 discrete channel calibration tones?

Michael

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Michael hit the nail on the head...

Regardless if the two back channels are running mono, they each need to be individually calibrated becasue their distance from the primary listening position is different for each???

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Just play the surround back test tone on your DVE disc, it will output on both your rear speakers, calibrate the levels of both of these speakers so that the combined sound level from both of them is 75 dB at the primary listening position. Adjust their levels so they are relatively equal, i.e. increase/decrease the left one by 1 dB and then the right one by 1 dB, etc.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
No, Avia does not. Its an older disc that is only 5.1. DVE is the only calibration disc I have found with the surround back test tones. I use DVE to calibrate my sound, but Avia to calibrate my picture quality.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Dammit, more money to the cause. My wife is getting tired of this. I, on the other hand, am loving every minute of it. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Your surround back speakers should be equidistant anyway, and if they aren't I'd use receiver test tones for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks