Calibration help with Sony KV-30HS420

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike_N, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Mike_N

Mike_N Auditioning

I just got the Sony KV-30HS420. I am using Digital Video Essentials to calibrate. I wanted to compare my results with others who own the HS420 series.

Picture: Final setting was only 3 or 4 total bars. (Almost all the way off!) I was surprised at how low this was. I could probably even set it a bit lower. This is by far the most difficult setting for me to determine if it is correct. Can't really tell if it is blooming.
    Brightness: Probably 66% of the bars on.
    Do these results sound ok?

Note: After setting brightness and picture, my set had difficulty with the high contrast pluge pattern. So I had to bump brightness up a bit higher.

Also, in the pluge pattern, I can't see the darkest bar (below video black). Does this tv allow below video black? Or is it my dvd player? I see the 4% and 2% bars just fine.

Sharpness: I was also suprised by this one. I set it about 75% of the way on. The pattern seemed very soft at the low settings. My other tvs usually end up with the sharpness turned way down.

I turned off ClearEdge VM.
    Set color to Warm.
    Set DRC to Cinemotion.

Any other hints/tips? Comments? Thanks

2. Mike_N

Mike_N Auditioning

One more question:
    Do the video modes matter? Vivid, Standard, Movie, Pro.

Do these just alter the basic settings? Or do they alter things in the service menu?

thanks

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I don't have one of these but I service Sony TV's.
    The video modes are generally just some presets of the usual menu controls, although there may be some altering of some normally inaccessible service settings. (the ISF people would know, Sony hasn't documented a lot of the service menu items)

Traditionally Sony has stated that the normal setting of the "Picture" control (a combination brightness, contrast/black level, color control) is at the 3/4 mark, although service setup is done at the 50 % point if I remember correctly. I would start with the Picture control at that point with Sharpness set very low and adjust color and brightness first before touching the Picture control. The old "Lumisponder" (adjust TV to automatically compensate for room lighting) circuit was connected directly to the Picture control.

Some DVD players have a black level setting that can affect the TV, check it first (but I don't remember which way to set it right now)

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Note that there is not "correct" IRE setting that is universal. A properly designed source will function correctly in both settings.

5. Mike_N

Mike_N Auditioning

Thanks for the replies.

I read a review of my dvd player and the reviewer said it clips below black video.

Also, I found that there is a difference between Standard, Movie and Pro modes. I set all settings exactly identical for the 3 modes. I then compared the 3 using the same source.

Standard was the brightest. Movie was the darkest. Pro was in the middle. There must subtle differences in the service mode options or something. I read another thread that recommended Pro.