What's new

calibration for computer monitor? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i was wondering if anyone knew of any shareware type stuff to specifically calibrate a computer monitor?

i've got a 21" HP monitor (P1110) that i think is "off". i've got the brightness turned down to 0%, the contrast at approximately 90% and at 6500K.

the problem is the monitor appears really washed out, with a slight blue tinge. i've gone through all the settings and cannot seem to get it to a decent dark level.

it's my work monitor, so i'm not really looking to do anything extreme, but i thought maybe someone would have an idea or suggestion?

thanks in advance,

ted

Cliff Watson

Agent
”the problem is the monitor appears really washed out, with a slight blue tinge. i've gone through all the settings and cannot seem to get it to a decent dark level.”
I don’t think adjustments will help this monitor. I had to replace a Sony monitor with the same symptoms because the sub-bright circuit was going out.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ack! thanks cliff...

i sort of thought this was beyond "simple" repair...but i was hoping someone had some ideas.

i tried the colorbars and the colors looked "good", but when i look at whites, that's when the bluish tint/washed out look is really noticeable.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There is software called Colorific which creates a custom color profile which corrects the colors at the video card level. The test patterns are interactive, for example it shows nine shades of blue against a blue background pattern and you click on the spot which best matches the background.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks wayne...
i think i found some info on that app here. unfortunately, it's like 50.00.
since this is my work monitor, i'm not really going to spend any money if i can help it.
although i do stare at it for eight hours a day...oh well, once i go blind and lose my sight maybe i can sue the company! :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There is an ancient Nokia Monitor Test Tool that is floating around the web. I have no idea where I got my copy (linked from some article I read recently). But I found this site, which has it for download. It's a handy little program, and free.
http://freepctech.com/rode/004.shtml

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yes! i think that may be exactly what i'm looking for dave - thanks to you (and all the others) who replied.

hopefully my brightness circuit thing-a-ma-jig won't be busted and this'll help.

thanks again guys...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't know the specific reason why, but I believe it has to do with the much greater color depth of computer monitors. It was in an article on why you need a separate NTSC monitor because you can't do proper color correction on a computer w/o one for reference

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
update (if anyone cares...)

looks like the nokia test confirmed my fears. my monitor is running WAY too hot. i have my brightness set to zero and per their test, i'm seeing all their bars when i should only be seeing a few.

oh well, maybe i'll pitch a fit and see what happens.

thanks again all!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I thought NTSC just looked dark on computer monitors, which have a different "gamma response curve" than TVs.

//Ken

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ted - Glad my recommendation helped :) It seems odd that your monitor is too bright. My limited experience, is that monitors grow dim with age. Is this a new monitor (repaired under warranty) or an older one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks