What's new

calibration dvd questions/advice (1 Viewer)

Greetings - I just bought a SONY 60" rplcd and I'm about to purchase a DVD to help me calibrate it. I'm new to all this stuff but the only guy locally I've heard of was $300+ and for that I'd like to try my hand first.

I've heard of (3) Digital Video Essentials, AVIA, and one called "DISCWASHER", but my first question is - can they be "out of date"? Will it still work ok with newer tv technologies like rplcd? Or doesn't it really matter what technology is used?

Are there a lot of other options?
And is it a matter of taste/opinion like with tv's or is there one that's generally acknowledged as the best?

I'm reading the comments on Amazon.com and here, but they're pretty much all contradictory. Perhaps some folks could offer some firsthand-use feedback and advice for a newbie?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I guess there is alot more than a calibration disc can do and these setting need to be done via service menu, I think.

you can only do so much with a disc.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The $300+ calibration by the local guy is more like a tune up for the TV where as you can only achieve an oil change with the TV by using the test discs ... if even that.

There is quite a bit of difference between a guy with a $30 disc versus a guy coming with that disc and $8K worth of testing equipment as well.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks