Calibrating

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zak Solo, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

Hi guys

Well I am finally the owner of a Radioshack analogue meter and AVIA disk

I have a sony STR DB940 receiver.

My question is this. Last night I set the volume knob on the receiver to level 5 i.e at the 12 o'clock mark. I set up the meter in the listening position (with me out of the way). The test tones ran for the various speakers and I set the meter to 70db.

Now the needle obviously moved when the tones of each speaker changed. The needle was hovering at the 0 db mark but sometimes dipped slightly lower and other times slightly over i.e +/- 1 or 2 db's.

Is this the right way to calibrate or have I done something wrong and secondly the only way I can adjust the db's of the L+R main speakers is to adjust the balance on the receiver is this correct?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

By the way I have done a search on all the threads on the subject plus some other searches and all I want to do is check that I have done the right thing.

Thanks for your help

Zak.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I've done it 2 different ways with my H/K, I'll try to keep it short...

First time - I played the cal. DVD starting with the left main, trim at zero, and elevated the main vol. control till the meter read 75db. As the tones cycled, I left the main at it's original level and used each channel's trim to bring it to 75db.

Results - Main vol (+3) (My volume readout is in -/+ db)

L (0)

CTR (-6)

R (+1)

LS (+3)

RS (+2)

Second time -

I put the main volume control at zero db, and used the trim to bring each channel to 75db. (Note- My set-up had to change completely 90 degrees due to the addition of more furniture, so no direct comparisons should be made)

Results - Main vol (0)

L (+3)

CTR (-4)

R (+3)

LS (+2)

RS (+4)

I believe now that zero = reference is a better way to go when calibrating. How this relates to Sony is another matter, but I thought I'd share my experience.

- CM

3. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

Thanks for that.

I wanted to just check that I had the general idea really. My Sony receiver's main volume knob goes from 0 sound to 15 or 20 (not db's but increments I guess). I was just trying to work out whether I had done it right.

I don't think I have got it entirely correct yet. I will have another go when I get home tonight.

From what you are saying I basically increase the volume knob on the receiver untill the meter reads 75 db's i.e set it to 70 and when the needle hits +5 I am listening at 75db's. Then I set the other speakers to the same level.

Thanks by the way.

4. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

I do it a little different way.

meter set 70db, c scale (slow)

on my THX receiver when the tones start the volume is set to "0" zero or referance level.

with the mains set at 0 the meter reads 72dbs. I use this as my set level, I do not raise the mains to 75db. I set all other channels to this level.

reason, the less processing the better the sound.

Your needle may move a little, make sure it's on the "C" scale, not the "A". The pink noise is a varible tone, so the response goes up & down, esp with the subwoofer.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor