Calibrating with VE & my Kenwood VR-509 - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Hey everybody,

Well, I finally went out & bought my next receiver,the aforementioned Kenwood VR-509.

I got an excellent deal on it,so I'm very happy.

Just one thing,though.

Unlike my last receiver,which had an on screen display -this one doesn't. & it looks like I can't choose to calibrate any one speaker when I used the Video Essentials DVD.

So those of you who own one of these,do you have any tips for me as how to best calibrate them?

Thanks,

Calvin

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Calvin, here's the procedure I use to calibrate my VR-507:

Choose a setting on your master volume dial where you'd like reference level to be after calibration. From the receiver's set-up menu, set the individual channels to 0. Then play the VE test tones and make note of the readings from your SPL meter (set to slow, C weighting).

Then go back into the receiver's set-up menu and make the necessary adjustments that would result in a 75db output from each channel. Ignore the receiver's test tones while you're doing this....you'll be making these adjustments based on what you got with the VE tones. As a matter of fact, you might even want to turn the overall volume down while you make these adjustments.....I find the receiver's test tones to be a bit irritating.

After making the initial adjustments, play the VE tones again (don't forget to set the master volume control back to where it was when you started out) and check the readings again on your meter. It might be necessary to repeat this procedure more than once to get each channel accurately set to 75db (or higher for the subwoofer channel if you choose to run it hot). That's it...now you'll know exactly where reference level is on your master volume control!

Good luck and enjoy your new receiver,

Vin

3. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Breck, the Kenwood sounds great with the speakers that I have (Boston Acoustics Micro 80s mains,Bos. Aco. Micro 90 Center, & Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 8).

For where I am at the moment, this is awesome!

Vin, thanks for the tip! I'll try it out & let you know..

Thanks

Calvin