calibrating vs different sources

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ernie.bin, Mar 19, 2005.

1. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

After buying a new dvd player (yamaha s550), I notice it's brightness level is much lower than my old player (a panasonic rp62).

if I raise the brightness on my tv up to the right point for my dvd player, cable tv is way too bright, as is the xbox.

the yamaha lets you adjust the brightness, but when adjusting heavily, the image quality seems to degrade, with artifacts showing up much more than normal.

So, if your different sources have different black levels, how do you adjust for each?

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I had the same issue with my Cable & DVD player. My 4805 has 3 different user settings that remembered 3 different brightness, contrast,color, etc.. settings at a push of a button. I would change them the same as the screen size. Then I found that my Sony DVD has a blackness control. Now that I set it, I am able to us the same settings for all. This is good because I calibrated the picture with a DVD. I did not notice any picture quality difference.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

ernie: if your TV has multiple settings or per-input settings, use those to calibrate to each individual device.

If you don't have this capability, you can also consider changing the black level setting on your DVD player, if available. It seems like the menu as shown in the manual shows a setting under the setup menu for "black level" but it is omitted completely from the manual. This is described in extreme detail in the guide that is linked in my signature.

4. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

my tv (a toshiba 27afx54) doesn't have per input settings, and the black level noted in the yamaha level doesn't seem to change the black level output. from what I can tell, it's simple a black level expansion setting.

My panasonic did have two settings for its black level which is how I got it to match all my other sources.

i'm weighing returning the player for something more flexible, though I still want all region and proper PAL conversion capability.