Calibrating Velodyne SPL1200 - Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I know this has been covered before but I searched and couldn't find the thread. So, sorry if I'm re-hashing old stuff.

Anyway, I'm calibrating my sub and wanted to know if It's better to turn the volume/gain knob on the sub all the way up and then turn down the levels on the receiver or turn the volume mid-way and turn up the levels?

Thanks guys.

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Vlad, more than likely, full gain on the sub amp will make it impossible to calibrate to reference level from the receiver, i.e., the sub level output from the receiver will be set at it's lowest setting and you'll still be above reference level.

So, half way on the sub gain is usually a good starting point.....then shoot for a sub level output at the receiver of no more than 50% of it's range. In other words, if your receiver's sub level output goes from -10 to +10, try to be somewhere between -5 and 0.....this will leave you some room for adjustment on the fly from your receiver's remote.

Vin

3. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

There are eight nothces on the volume control on my spl-1200. I have it set to the very first notch and that is more than enough.

4. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks guys. I think I'll try the half-way mark as a starting point.