Calibrating Tactile Transducers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanL, Jul 31, 2001.

1. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

Now that I've had my bass shakers for a while and I've gotten over the "wow" effect, what would be the best way to calibrate these with my speakers? I have them ran through my LFE output to my 2nd receiver.

2. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

ryan...i have 8 aura bass shakers on order as we speak..how did u hook yours up? i too am planning on using my 2nd receiver..
    i'm just wondering what speakers channels u used coming out of your 2nd receiver and how many on each..like 2 per channel, 3 per, etc
    thanks!
    [Edited last by tom_furman on July 31, 2001 at 08:45 AM]

3. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

Since the shakers are rated at 4 ohms nominally, I ran them in series to get an 8-ohm load to the receiver. I only have 2 shakers and they are running out of the L channel. I do plan on adding 2 more when I get more seating and those will be wired the same way, but out of the R channel, thus not losing any power going to them. Hope this helps you out Tom.

4. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

I've thought about adding some tactile transducers, but I want something to mount under the floor to the joists, not to my furniture. Anybody have any experience with larger units that might be capable of producing meaningful feedback through a large and VERY solidly built floor?
    ------------------

5. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Were have you guys bought your transducers?
    ------------------
    Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-07-29
    Then give me your thoughts!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

6. tom_furman

thanks ryan..that does make sense about running them together to get the 8ohms...
    now if my 2nd receiver is listed as 100w x 5 would it be ok if i use a total of 8 shakers....4 in a series from the left, and 4 in a series from the right and run the receiver in stereo?
    or would that be too much for the receiver...if 4 is too many per channel could i use 3? 75w per channel?
    i'm with ryan....i'd also like to know how one could go about calibrating them for optimal performance

7. tom_furman

jens....try either ebay or ubid.com....i got mine from a local shop which had them on closeout for $15 a pair..i got a total of 10 shakers and am hoping to use 8 under my queen size bed! that thing will bounce across the room [​IMG]

8. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

back to the original question, does anybody know how to properly calibrate these?

9. tom_furman

what kind of calibration could they need? they seem like they'd be just plug and play...

10. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Hi, I just got my 4 shakers in the mail recently and was wondering if anyone could offer their advice with hooking them up. You see, I have an old 140 watt Sony Pro Logic receiver which I BELIEVE has more power on the front channels, but I'm not quite sure. I don't think a single channel would be enough to power 2 shakers efficiently, so how would I go about hooking everything up so that the shakers are getting 4 ohms? Also, I hear that the effect is much greater if you have the shakers not only on the sub out/LFE channel, but also on all of your speaker channels... of course I don't have any first hand experience with this, so perhaps someone could try this out?

11. tom_furman

mike....simply hook your pro-logic receiver up to your new receiver and then use the front L and R channels to connect to your shakers...you want to run two shakers together to get 8lhms because most likely your receiver can't handle the 4 ohms so do it like this..
    /--front left---shaker---shaker
    receiver
    --front right---shaker---shaker

12. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

I'm just wondering how high to set the levels. You might be right though Tom. I'm sure there isn't an "offical" calibration technique, so I guess just go with whatever level I want.

13. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Well the thing is, I don't think there is enough power from just two channels to handle the 4 shakers. I was thinking one shaker per channel, but I don't know how to do so while keeping the shakers at 8 ohms.

14. andyg

andyg Agent

I run 5 Bass Shakers in parallel/series to give me about 6 ohms resistive. I have them connected to a [email protected] ohms channel. At first I had them cranked to shake the hell out of everyone, but the novelty soon wore off. I set them so they can only be felt during heavy LFE. I used Tomorrow Never Dies chase scene in the parking garage. Some great LFE. As for a SPL reading I have no idea. I just set the shakers to give me an additional, but not too intrusive sensation.....
    ---Andy Garabedian

15. tom_furman

i'll tell you guys how it works out when i get all of mine installed...i think i'm gonna go for 6 total...3 per channel and then run my receiver in stereo. i think the receiver which puts out 100w per channel should be able to handle the 3 - 25w (75w total) shakers.
    and ryan..i e-mailed the folks at aura to see if they suggest any kind of calibration for optimal performance or if it's a "whatever feels best for you" kind of thing..i'll post their reply asap

16. John H

John H Second Unit

quote: Now that I've had my bass shakers for a while and I've gotten over the "wow" effect, what would be the best way to calibrate these with my speakers?[/quote]
    RyanL,
    User preference will dictate calibration amplitude.
    The Aura and RBH unts have a very large peak around 45 Hz. An EQ can tame this. I have also read that many Aura users like to use a 50Hz lowpass FMOD filter.
    quote: Anybody have any experience with larger units that might be capable of producing meaningful feedback through a large and VERY solidly built floor?[/quote]
    JerryHatchett,
    I have experience with several manufactures of tactile transducers.
    My first installation was an array of 8 RBH FX80 units. (ultra high performance Aura's) I used these for about a year.
    I then stepped up to a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F models and on to their Platinum models when they made their debut.
    At that time I also installed a pair of Buttkicker units. The Clark's are exceptional but when it comes to low frequency extension and output the BK is big time champion. The Buttkicker is definitely playing in the major leagues. It has no peers.
    While testing I fed the unit a 10Hz sine wave and it is capable of producing it with severe authority! It is also extremely dynamic, quick and detailed.
    If you want to add some very serious tactile energy to your HT floor the Buttkicker is very capable and my recommendation.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Epicenter
    [Edited last by John H on August 01, 2001 at 12:35 AM]

17. John H

John H Second Unit

quote: ...and am hoping to use 8 under my queen size bed! that thing will bounce across the room. [​IMG][/quote]
    Tom,
    I use a pair of Buttkickers with 2000w available to activate my queen size adjustable bed.
    I use a pair of subharmonic synthesizers on the LFE signal.
    An Audio Control PCA generates subharmonics 1 octave below and a Behinger EX1200 Ultra bass Pro generates signals 2 octaves below the original signal. A Paradigm X-30 lowpassed at 35 Hz sums the 2 processors signals before feeding my power amplifiers.
    I have the bed resting on 2 support platforms. 1 for each pair of bed frame feet. They are fitted with neoprene feet from Kinetics Noise Control. This isolates the bed from the concrete slab floor and allows it to cycle. I have 1 BK mounted to each.
    I recently replaced the pillow top coil spring mattress with a soild latex model.
    Talk about subharmonic tactile sensation. [​IMG]
    I think a bed is the ultimate for a TT application. It provides sensation from head to heel.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Epicenter
    [Edited last by John H on July 31, 2001 at 11:47 PM]

18. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

I can't believe someone else has not said it yet...
    "back to the original question, does anybody know how to properly calibrate these?"
    By the seat of your pants!!
    Sorry... butt [​IMG] that seems to be the best way. Adjust the volume level until the transducers compliment the audible bass levels, not over power them.
    Good luck,
    Dan