Calibrating speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenjaminA, Jan 27, 2002.

1. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

I finally went out and bought a radio shack sound level meter. I just quickly changed the channel levels for all of my speakers and all I can say is wow. That really made a huge difference. The sensitivities of each of the speakers really did not help me predict which ones needed adjustment. I just want to make sure I did this right. I set the meter to C, slow and set it at 70 decibals. I then set it at the listening position facing the tv. I then played the test tones from my avr-2802 and set all the speakers to 75 decibals. The center channel ended up being -2, the two front channels are both +2,the left surround is +2, and the right surround is 0. I only have five speakers. The meter is exactly the same distance from both surrounds and they are both jbl s38's, but the channel levels are different. Is this ok? Did I calibrate all my speakers right or is there a better way to do it? Thanks

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

You got it Benjaman!

Did you use the receiver's internal test tones or one from a test disc, like Avia or Video Essentials?

I get different results, but use the ones from Video Essentials.

3. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

I used the internal test tones. Would it be better to use something else?

4. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    This question is for me, too.

He apparently pointed the RatShack meter AT the TV. Wouldn't he get a more effective soundfield balance if he pointed the meter at the ceiling. My thinking is that pointing the meter forward will result in rear channel balance on the high side because of the directionality of the sound and the meter reading. Anyone's thoughts?

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

A common belief is that your meter should be at ear level of your listening location at a 45 degree angle. Some people say to point the meter at the speaker you are adjusting but I think the 45 degree angle method has more technical merit.
    Again, whatever works for you. I calibrate my system for 85db using pink noise with my receiver at -10db. I believe this is what dolby suggests you do for 'reference level'.
    -aaron

6. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Pick up the Avia test CD. Not only does it have ALL the test tones for calibrating your speakers, it also has test patterns for your TV. I used the test tones in my receiver and they were way off compared to AVIA. They also run through the setting and holding of the meter.

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor