Calibrating speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Himanshu_S, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I just got the AVIA disc and was trying to calibrate the speakers using the Radio shack SPL meter.

My setup:
    Fronts: Klipsch F3's
    Rears: Klispch S3's
    Center: Klipsch C3
    Sub: SVS PB-10ISD
    Receiver: Yamaha 5790.

Before calibrating I set all of my speaker levels to zero(all the way to left).
    I used the left speaker tone and turned up the receiver's volume until the SPL meter read 85db.
    Then I kept the receiver's volume knob at the same position and increased the level of center channel so that it also read 85db. But then when it came to right channel the output was lower so I went to increase the speaker level. However, the speaker level is same for Front right and Front left on my receiver. If my front left was putting out 85db, how come my right wasn't putting out 85db?

Another question is when calibrating with AVIA should I set the speakers to small or large. Currently I have set it to small and I like the current setup. However, I was just curious if Avia calibration will make use of the lower frequency supported by the front towers.

On the side, the AVIA video tests did help improve my picture quality. My color saturation and contrast needed adjustment.

Are there any trailers or special demos that Avia includes on their discs? I'm not sure if it was on Avia or DVE disc that they demos on.

I know this is a long post but I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Himanshu

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Some (all?) Yamahas don't allow you to adjust the R&L separately. You get different readings because of your room - just because the levels are the same does not mean they will play at the same volume in your room at your listening position.

3. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the reply. I think you are right since the right side of the room has an opening which would cause a lower SPL meter reading. Thanks!