Calibrating sound for DVD player vs. satellite TV

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jim Mcc, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I've got my Dolby Digital receiver calibrated for my DVD player, but how do you guys calibrate the sound for satellite TV? Do you just set the levels the same? The DVD and satellite inputs on my receiver are saved separately.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Generally people use the same calibrations for everything. However, you can always tweak as you see fit. For instance, satellite audio is typically compressed, so some adjustments may be needed, especially with the sub level.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Thanks Wayne. So I'll just set DBS the same as the DVD settings and make any adjustments by ear? The calibration broadcast I've read about that HDNet does, are they just for video and not for audio? Thanks.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Don’t know anything about what HDNet says, but since most TV programming uses audio compression (the kind that limits dynamic range, not MPEG), the bass levels are usually quite a bit less than what’s in DVDs. The center channel might also need to be adjusted, if you find it’s too loud, or gets “drowned out” when lots is happening in the other channels.

This might not apply to PPV or satellite movies that come Dolby Digital.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt