Calibrating Projectors..oh god..could it be any harder?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrettisMckinney, Jun 26, 2006.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Ive had my Panny AE700 for around 12 months now and have left it on the normal setting with -2 color temp. To be honest..it looks quite good. But im a bit of a picky guy and have never been wowed by it. I realise for this price range it wouldnt be awesome but i feel i could get better out of it.

Anyway..last night i tried to use my Video essentials DVD and THX optimizer. Its all I have. I ended up with a WAY worse image haha. Looked very dull. I couldnt believe how hard it was to get a good picture..there is so many settings!

Does anyone have any settings they could recommend? Or strategies. Id find it extremely helpful. Thanks.

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Calibrating digital projectors is easy after you have done it a few times on a CRT FP... [​IMG]

If you ended with a worse picture, then reset to factory settings and try again. Are you sure though that you ended with a worse picture? What's wrong with it? Too soft? Too dim or too bright? Less shades than before?

3. Derek D

Derek D Auditioning

i feel the same way, i use digital video essentails on my mitsubishi projector, my problem is flesh tones, when i set it right by VE the fleshtones look right on thier examples,kind of between yellow and right, almost like a peach tone, but on most movies, the fleshtones appear more yellow, is this right.

Derek

4. Derek D

Derek D Auditioning

i feel the same way, i use digital video essentails on my mitsubishi projector, my problem is flesh tones, when i set it right by VE the fleshtones look right on thier examples,kind of between yellow and right, almost like a peach tone, but on most movies, the fleshtones appear more yellow, is this right.

Derek

5. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Well I understand it as 2 ways to view a picture. What you believe looks good, and what it technically correct. Eg. Some people like exaggerated colours, even though they are not realistic.

With my standard settings, there seems to be a bit of green push in skin tones, but colors are vibrant and contrast and brightness is decent.
    Using the disc, it tells me to tone down the color by about 6 notchs, as well as brightness. Im left with a picture that looks a bit dull and lifeless.

Ive tried using the RBG values and toning down the green and blue a few but im not really sure what im doing haha. There is just soo many options!