Calibrating non-DVD inputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ralph, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

Following well documented suggestions, I immediately turned down the contrast on both my in-use inputs (DVD and SAT), then used Video Essentials to calibrate the DVD input after I had the set awhile. Here's where my question comes in. What's the best way to then calibrate the SAT input?

I simply used the same settings I got from V.E. for DVD, and manually put them in for the SAT input. After I got them all in, I tweaked it simply by "eyeballing" it. It seems to me there should be a more straightforward method I'm missing. Isn't the point of being able to have diffent settings for different inputs that the settings will NOT be the same?

I'm not complaining about the PQ on the SAT input, in fact I think it looks just fine. I'm just curious if maybe I missed something that may have made the process simpler or more concrete.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You cannot calibrate for sat unless you can control the variability between channels ... and you can't. Hence using the DVD settings as a "starting point" is the proper thing to do.

Regards

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Most TVs have different internal 'equalization' depending on the input signal, so if you're using s-video for your satellite system, you should connect s-video to your DVD player and run AVIA using that connection (same goes for composite video). This will give you accurate settings for s-video, but like Michael says, just about every channel looks different anyway! Still, it's good to have a baseline.