Calibrating my Sony CRT TV...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Bozeman, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Chris Bozeman

Chris Bozeman Auditioning

I have a few questions about calibrating my television for optimal display of DVDs. Let me start off by giving some basic information about set up...

I'm using a Sony FD Trinition 32" CRT model KV-32FS100, and a Sony DVP-NC665P DVD player. They're connected via component video inputs.

Under the television's on-screen menu in the Video Options, there are four different present Modes available, and each can be customized.

There are seven different submenus for adjustment:
    (Picture) Picture White Level
    (Brightness) Picture Black Level
    (Color) Color Saturation
    (Hue) Green / Red Tones
    (Sharpness) Picture Detail
    (Color Temperature) Cool, Neutral, and Warm
    (VM) Edge Enhancement; High, Low, and Off

My primary interest is to figure out how to adjust all these settings for the best possible picture quality. I have a healthy selection of DVDs to choose as references, but I prefer to use Resident Evil Superbit Edition; I seem to hear and read that a lot of reviewers for different sites and magazines use it as a reference tool.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Buy Video Essentials, AVIA, or Hometheater Tuneup. Watch it and do as it says.

Regards

Gregg

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Also, turn the SVM completely off. Adjust the so-called "sharpness" accordingly with either of the two discs Gregg mentioned. And, above all, make sure the "Picture" control is adjusted well below the factory default.