Calibrating my new 34" 16:9 set....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Atho, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Atho

Atho Agent

hey all, I just purchased a Toshiba 34" 16:9 HDTV. DVD's on my Panny RP56 look good, but not as good as i was expecting them to be. I have not done anything really in terms of calibration.

I found a site that rewviewed my particular set and got the proper brightness, contrast, etc. settings. What else could be done? Would calibrating the set with the AVIA disc make much more of an improvement?

Thanks

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I wouldn't think that those setting would be exactly for your set anyway. They can't tell what kind of DVD player you are using or gauge things like ambient light etc... Using the Avia or Video Essentials disc is definitely the way to go.

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I can't get the colours right with VE or Avia. Red push, probably around 15%. The service guy told me that that is normal with this TV. Toshiba does not set colours to ISF standards, on purpose.

I tried mucking about in the service menu, but didn't quite know how to set everything.

So I'm getting the colours professionally calibrated. I'll tell you if it improves anything.

CW34XC2/CW34X92 with Panasonic RP91.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    There is no red push on the Toshibas. Use Video Essentials or Avia to properly adjust your front panel controls.

Gregg

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

No red push? Interesting. This is the result I got with Avia before a calibration. I will retest now that I have had a greyscale done and have a much better image to work with. So far my main issue though is a slight green cast on certain scenes in certain movies which I will try to correct in the service menu. (It's difficult to gauge what Jennifer in Avia is supposed to look like, considering she's a redhead. I think I pushed her too green during the calibration. Too bad Avia doesn't have a blonde, redhead, and others on the same screen for this final calibration step.)