Calibrating HT w/Sony STR-502p - how do I adjust decible level?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Young, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I am a novice with a lot of this, so please excuse any careless or false statements. [​IMG]
    I am using AVIA to better adjust my 5.1 sound field. I've got a sound meter on the recommended settings and am using AVIA's test tones to read the Db level on each channel. My receiver is a Sony STR-502p, I believe (not the best I realize, but money considerations etc.).
    I get a good 80 db reading on each speaker only if I adjust the volume level. On the other hand, my friend's Denon receiver has an onscreen option to equalize db level per channel, my STR model only has general volume settings (ie: 1-5, etc) and a kHZ.
    I've already exhausted many of my options... the instruction manual, the Sony website, playing around with all the dials, features and buttons on my receiver. Does anyone know if these receiver have a severe limitation in terms of 'tweaking' the decible level for calibration?
    Any related comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Joseph

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you do not have a menu area (OSD or on receiver) that allows you to configure each speaker individually (large or small, and individual volume), then you probably don't need the SPL meter because you will not be able to make any adjustments until you have a receiver that can. My old STR-DE815 did not have this ability either...one of the main reasons I got rid of it.

If it sounds good to you though, you should be all set.

3. Joseph Young

Thanks John, that's actually the sort of what I was hoping to hear. Currently I am limited mostly by the space in which my HT equipment sits (a small room with very little space for accurately placing speakers).

Thanks again!

Joseph

4. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

So thinking of upgrading or happy with your current set up?

5. Joseph Young

Until I get a new, larger room to set up my HT, I'll be content with this one. As long as I can decode DTS, I'm happy. Matrixed sound or pro logic 2 would be nice, but not necessary. [​IMG]
    -j