Calibrating for HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

How do people tend to calibrate for HDTV in the absence of proper signal generators? I've eyeballed from the starting point of calibrated DVD settings, but am wondering if there's a more accurate way to do this. Would love to get my hands on an Accupel signal generator for a weekend, but that's not gonna happen. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Jay, calibrating HD with out a signal generator is hard to do. However, many sets (such as mine) dont allow for a lot of HD specific settings anyways.
    On the 65H80 line, you can not do specific color Temp off sets (no access to the designer menu), you can set geometry, overscan, centering, and front panel controls via the Accupel. Much of this (centering / gross geometry) can be done without the Accupel. As I am sure you have noticed, each HD station (just like NTSC cable) has its own standard for colors so each channel looks VERY different. Not much use in setting up grey scale unless the HD stations get their collective ass together.
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Jay, Id be interested in finding a listing for designer menu codes for the H80's. (or access to the Designer menu).
    When you selected a HD signal source, your settings will be remembered for that input.
    Things are much more difficult with the 4x3 sets. Kind of like a crap shoot [​IMG]
    One of the principles behind the change over to HD was bettering the consistances between stations. So far I have not seen great evidence of better consistancies.
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units