What's new

Calibrating for HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
How do people tend to calibrate for HDTV in the absence of proper signal generators? I've eyeballed from the starting point of calibrated DVD settings, but am wondering if there's a more accurate way to do this. Would love to get my hands on an Accupel signal generator for a weekend, but that's not gonna happen. Any tips would be much appreciated.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Jay, calibrating HD with out a signal generator is hard to do. However, many sets (such as mine) dont allow for a lot of HD specific settings anyways.
On the 65H80 line, you can not do specific color Temp off sets (no access to the designer menu), you can set geometry, overscan, centering, and front panel controls via the Accupel. Much of this (centering / gross geometry) can be done without the Accupel. As I am sure you have noticed, each HD station (just like NTSC cable) has its own standard for colors so each channel looks VERY different. Not much use in setting up grey scale unless the HD stations get their collective ass together.
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
As I am sure you have noticed, each HD station (just like NTSC cable) has its own standard for colors so each channel looks VERY different. Not much use in setting up grey scale unless the HD stations get their collective ass together.
It's not just grayscale but the picture settings. The ATSC standard provides for more consistency of image output than NTSC (ie. "Never Twice the Same Color"). Differences should, in large part, be from the source material as opposed to the broadcast mechanism. That's why you generally will not have access to color and tint controls when using an HD tuner's RGB connection. At least that's my understanding. From what I've seen the programs on Dish's HD stations (CBS, PPV, HBO, Showtime, and the promo channel) are much more consistent than what I see comparing NTSC broadcasts. And there will be more variation between upconverts compared to true 1080i programming.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Jay, Id be interested in finding a listing for designer menu codes for the H80's. (or access to the Designer menu).
When you selected a HD signal source, your settings will be remembered for that input.
Things are much more difficult with the 4x3 sets. Kind of like a crap shoot :)
One of the principles behind the change over to HD was bettering the consistances between stations. So far I have not seen great evidence of better consistancies.
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks