What's new

Calibrating DTS audio levels (1 Viewer)

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Finally I bought an SPL meter and calibrated my system with AVIA and Essentials. It does make all the difference vs. calibrating by ear. My system sounds great. However, I realized that there is no way to calibrate for DTS, only DD. I'm wondering if I missed something or is there another way to calibrate for DTS?
Thanks,
Tom

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Calibration is calibration.
Once you've completed the steps on your disc, you're set for any 6 channel format.
DD, DTS, DPL2, even Pro-Logic are covered in that calibration.
Sit back and enjoy.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
In most instances I would agree with the idea that once you set for DD, Dts etc is all set. Unfortunatly some receivers/processors have a seperate LFE for DTS (mostly for music I believe) I actually have a calibration disc that is ONLY in DTS, that came directly from DTS. I used to work electronics retail and it came package with a Technics receiver-We had one open, and I yanked it :)
It is actually really cool, and has demo material from music to movies, and the typical test tones just like in Avia/VE- pink noise, clicks, frequecy sweep etc.. But for general situations Avia / VE is just fine!
JP

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
For the most part one calibration for Dolby Digital 'sets up' everything, however, I believe there is a rear channel delay for Pro-Logic not used by the other modes.
On my receiver it is a separate adjustment, and only comes into play in the Pro-Logic mode.
This may be automatically accounted for on other processors/receivers.

David Judah

Screenwriter
If your receiver or processor has different adjustments for DD & DTS LFE and the default settings are not at the same level(absolute level, not numerical value on the display), then you need to adjust them.
You can approximate the levels by using one of Warner's combo discs(Twister, Lethal Weapon 1-3, Interview With The Vampire)going back and forth between the DD & DTS tracks, after your six channel levels have been set.
DJ
[Edited last by David Judah on August 28, 2001 at 09:36 AM]

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
On my Harman Kardon it allows me to use the pink noise for DD and DTS. I did realize that the sound level and sub levels were quite different, moreso in the bass area. Try and see if you can manually switch your receiver to DTS and execute the test tones. If the DTS logo or light stays on I believe that after your settings are in place, it will be different from the DD settings.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
any other disc to calibrate DTS?
------------------
View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads