1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Calibrating Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Herman, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Steve Herman

Steve Herman Auditioning

I have a Denon 3801 with a JBL NSP1 speaker package, and was wondering on the correct way to set the proper audio levels for the speaker channels. I have the VE disc, but am unsure the volume to set my receiver at when setting the levels. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Read this .
    Good luck!

3. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

If the volume control is relative, ie it lists -XXdB to +XX dB then you want to set the volume to 0.0dB.
    If it is not listed as relative dB, it might list a particular setting as REF. Other than that, you have to ask Denon.
    Double check the VE disc, I don't recall off the top of my head whether the tones are at -30dBFS or -20dBFS. If it's -30dB, you then calibrate to 75dB for all speakers and sub. If it's -20dB you then calibrate to 85dB for all speakers and sub.
    If you're using the Radio Shack SPL meter, it's a bit off on the low end, and you should calibrate 2-3dB under the other speakers for true level response.
    Hope this helped.
    Regards,