What's new

Calibrating a Sony STR-DB1070 (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
I would appreciate some advice on how to calibrate this model from anyone who has before. Help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
What do you mean by calibrate? It has receiver test tones for the channel levels. You can calibrate by ear or better yet, a sound meter.

If you are asking about the bass management and speaker location options, then details about your room, speakers & sub would be handy.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Craig,
I am trying to help a friend of mine calibrate his system. I used an SPL meter but the problems are:
1. I dont' think you are able to isolate the test tone on any one speaker. It constant cycles through every speaker which is not a huge problem
2. The surround speakers don't seem to be able to be controlled separately. I am not really familiar with this model but I can tell you what we tried to do.

I leveled all of his speakers to baseline, and turned up the master volume until the left front speaker registered 75 dbs. Then I bumped each individual speaker until they also read 75 dbs. The problem lies with the surround speakers due to the fact that I was unable to calibrate them serparately. The only thing I can think to do is make sure he has the distances from each speaker to the listening position put in properly. Any suggetsiions?

Jason

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
There should be an balance option for the surrounds on the setup. This will let you adjust their relative levels. On my (lower model) Sony, the balance works as a volume cut so you need to adjust the balance so their levels are the same and then adjust the surround's level back to your reference level.

If the receiver tones are cycling too quickly (yes, you can't control that), try getting hold of a setup DVD like AVIA, Video Essentials, The Ultimate DVD.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks