Calibrating a Home Theater System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leon B, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Leon B

Leon B Stunt Coordinator

Please don’t laugh at this, but I’m very new to this calibrating thing.

I just purchased a SPL meter from Radio Shack.

Could someone take the time to explain a couple of things such as what the heck is “Reference Level”?

Where do I purchase the Avia test disc? (Radio Shack didn’t have it).

I already feel like my system sounds great, however, from reading several posts here, it should be calibrated.

Also, will this meter only measure SPL?

Thanks for any help and/or tips you can give me.

2. FrankB

FrankB Agent

Reference level is when you are listening at the same sound level as the director intended, and hopefully the level that the movie theater is playing the movie at. Reference level is very loud, most people listen 5 to 10dB below reference level at home. Many sound systems cannot reproduce a movie a reference level without distortion.

I got my Avia DVD from Amazon for about $40. There is also a cheaper version called "Sound and Vision" that is supposed to be ok. "Video Essentials" is another calibration DVD. They should all work, but Avia has the best video test patterns.

Most recievers have test tones for balancing the level of all 5 (or 6) channels. You can use those test tones and your sound meter to calibrate the relative levels of the channels, which is what is most important. Who cares if you are at reference level, just set the volume where you want it.

The calibration DVDs are a necessity for setting the proper brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, and tint controls on your TV.

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

This will answer a lot of the questions that you haven't even asked yet....but you will. [​IMG]
    Good luck,
    Vin

4. Leon B

Leon B Stunt Coordinator

Much Thanks to FrankB & Vin for answering my questions. It's all starting to make sense!
    I'm on my way to Best Buy for the Avia DVD!!![​IMG]