What's new

Calibrating a couple of new TVs (1 Viewer)

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
My parents just purchased a Sony Vega KV36HS420 and I just bought a Toshiba 32HF73. What I want to know is if there are service modes on these 2 tvs and if so how do I access them? I am aware that before I make any adjustments I would need to make a note of the current settings. Also should I use the DVD essentials dics to calibrate these or is there a better disc? I am new to this but I am technically minded so I am not worried about calibrating the TVs. Are there any warranty voiding settings I should not make or are they all warranty voiding?

Thank guys

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You should start with basic calibration using the Avia, or DVE disc. You can run searches on the past for descriptions on each, I am partial to Avia.

Regardless, the basic adjustments for a good picture (black level, white level, color balance, and color saturation) are all user-adjustable on pretty much any TV. Beyond this, service menu stuff can get sort of advanced, and you can leave that till later.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. Thanks. But is one of those DVDs really going to do anything if I am just going to use the basic adjustments in the menus? I used the THX configuration from Finding Nemo. Is there really more that can be done with the DVE or AVIA disc? If so I will get one of those but I am just wondering how much more can they help with the visual adjustments with just using the regular adjustment menus.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You need the test patterns to adjust properly. The THX test patterns are far better than nothing, but they have also been known to vary due to the rather bizarre design idea behind them. A test disc like Avia or DVE gives a much broader array of patterns with accurate, and well-defined characteristics. This allows you to use the basic patterns they give you, along with many many other variations on those patterns, to adjust your system.

These other discs also have comprehensive audio tones as well, that allow you to go in-depth into your system if you so desire for the absolute best setup and performance.

Every HT should have Avia or DVE, it is, in my eyes (and ears) a requirement for a real HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks