calibrating 7.1 systems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Pratt, May 30, 2002.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

How are those of you with 7.1 speaker systems calibrating their volumes? I used Avia to do my the fronts and sides then swapped the sides and rear interconnects and calibrated the rears that way...that seems to jive with the pre amps internal tones but is there an easier way?

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Andrew, I picked up the S&V calibration dvd for $15 at Best Buy. it's essentially from the makers of the Avia disc but it contains audio tests for 6.1 - it's more comprehensive than the Avia disc in that it gives one the ability to do DTS-ES Matrix, DD-EX Matrix and DTS-ES Discrete and run the test tones for all three modes. So, it will also test that your receiver handles these 3 modes.

hope this helps,

--tom

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yeah I was wondering about that disc. How are the video tests compared to Avia?

4. Allen F

Allen F Extra

I set mine up using the tones from the receiver. After I did this, I compared it to the tones on the AVIA dvd. They were right on the money, so just went with the receiver for the rear surrounds and will just use the receiver from now on.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Allen that's just it when I compared the 1066's tones to those on Avia they weren't that far off so I think my method works well enough. Still I'd be interested in the S&V disc if the video tests are worthy