What's new

Calibrating 2nd SVS (1 Viewer)

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
I've just ordered my 2nd SVS 20-39 PCi! I've been thinking about calibration of the second sub and would welcome any input. In my particular set-up, I have to place the two subs on opposite sides of a wide screen TV. I'll call the original sub "A" and the second sub "B". Here's what I plan to do.

1) make sure that sub A is calibrated to level and phase with other speakers with AVIA and a RS spl meter.
2) Turn off sub A and turn on sub B, then calibrate to level with the volume knob on the sub...to match the level of sub A.
3) turn both subs on and use an LFE channel only signal. Use the phase switch on sub B to get the best response between the two subs. Remember sub A is already in phase with other speakers, so I won't mess with that phase switch.
4) re-calibrate the sub level to the other speakers, with both subs on.

Sound right? Anything I'm missing or do you have a better technique? Thanks.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Linn is now certain that it was my set-up, not their speaker that caused the tweeter to blow. So I guess I'm going to share the cost of a new tweeter with the fellow that lent me the speakers for a demo. He didn't want to start a fight with Linn as they just gave him a dealership. He's also a friend, so no biggie. Could have been my parasound amps, could have been the speaker...who knows? One thing I have to agree with is that that tweeter had lot more juice to it in the shop...it was actively tri-amped with Linn amps....getting it's own 140 watts and didn't blow then. Despite all that, I think I'm still going to get the Linns for front and center. Looking down the road I plan to get Linn amps to actively tri-amp myself, and use my Parasounds to passively bi-amp my future Katans.

And it's hot as hell...steam rising from the road...and I love it!

Well, that was way off topic, but thanks for asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks