Calibrated- vol. at “0” channel levels are all set at (-) “negative “ #s is that OK?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin*Harley, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

I’m assuming that as long as they are all equal on my SPL it doesn’t make a difference. Am I correct?

I also noticed that when I calibrated using the built in tones on my Denon then compared to the Avia DVD I got different readings. Why? Which ones should I use?

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Running all the speaker levels at or below 0 is preferable. It minimizes voltage distortion on the pre-out signal, as opposed to running them all at +10 or +12 for example.

The Denon internal test tones (at least for the 3803) seem to run about 5 dB cooler than the Avia. For true Reference Level playback, I would use Avia at 85 dB and run the Master Volume control into the positive range (if needed) in order to keep the individual speaker levels at 0 or below.

Regardless, whatever combination of speaker level and Master Volume gives you 85 dB all around on Avia will be true Reference Level on playback.

Regards,

Ed

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

The AV Receiver's internal test tones are -30dBFS tones, so if you're going to use that, the correct SPL = 75 dB.

REFERENCE INFO - from an HTF thread (date? didn't copy it) quoting HTF member Roger Dressler from Dolby . . . (copied without modification)

4. Kevin*Harley

The 3803 is what I have. I am happy to hear 5db difference. I kept going back and forth changing the levels. In the end I went with the Avia levels.

"gives you 85 dB all around on Avia"

Excuse my ignorance, but could you explain that statement. I keep reading that in articles as I search on this subject and unclear how I have my Avia at 85db.

Ignorant and aware of it,

Kevin

5. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

its ok to run them all negative. but leaving the mains at zero is more common. no reason not to use zero as a zero point [​IMG]

6. Kevin*Harley

Ignore my last question.

Just realized that I had my SPL set to 70 +5 and the light bulb went on :b

7. Edward J M

8. Phil Iturralde

9. Kevin*Harley

I adjusted my speakers last night to 85db using the AVIA. Receiver volume was at 00 and channel levels were between 0 and +3.
    A comment was made to keep levels at 0 and below. Is that more a preference or benefit? All I know is that after calibrating at 00 / 85 db my ears were starting to ring. Should I go back and raise the volume to bring the channels below 0?

After calibrating I watched Gladiator at –15 and it was more than enough for me ( and my wife down the hall behind closed doors). I doubt I will ever listen to a movie at 85db (ref). If that is the case does it make more sense to calibrate at 75db.

Thanks in advance. Your input has been extremely valuable and given me a much better grasp on setup.
    [​IMG]

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

11. Edward J M

12. Phil Iturralde

13. Kevin*Harley

You bring up another great point and my next project -
    Forgive me as I change the topic of this thread but when I take readings from my sub the SPL meter ( Radio Shack) flies off the scale.
    I have a Velodyne HGS-15. Current setup: MA Silver S8’s / Silver LCR both set at small. Cross over @ 80 / phase 0 / low pass 80 default with volume set between 9 and 10 o’clock.
    Sub blends well (with my ears) but it’s impossible to get an accurate reading with the SPL meter. I ended up using my built in SPL meter (ears) to set the bass management.
    To me it sounds clean and I am very happy with the sub, however if I have untapped performance I want to find it. What am I missing/ not understanding/ doing wrong?

14. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer