Calibrate your eyes before you calibrate your TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Jan 30, 2002.

  1. Kevin. W

    Kevin. W Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 1999
    Messages:
    1,534
    Likes Received:
    0
    Last week I went in and got my eyes checked by the optometrist, mainly to clear the rough edges. My eyes are nearly 20/20 but the edges of objects have this slight fuzz to them. With glasses this clears up and everything stands out more. Well last night I popped in one of my favourite DVD's(Sherk), just to see the difference glasses make and I must tell you its HUGE[​IMG]. Color, clarity , detail all improve dramatically. Guess its time to recalibrate the set. If you have the insurance coverage or just a couple $$ lying around that you thought you'd use to by those new cables, have you eyes checked and get the specs. You won't be dissapointed.
    Kevin
     
  2. GarryW

    GarryW Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 1999
    Messages:
    162
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you think new glasses help, you should try soft contacts! I can't think of a "better upgrade" for your HT viewing pleasure![​IMG]
     
  3. Scott Bourden

    Scott Bourden Second Unit

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2001
    Messages:
    457
    Likes Received:
    0
    Garry: I wear both soft contacts (85% of the time) and glasses (the other 15%)and with the same pescription, the glasses usually appear a little clearer (in my opinion, obviously)... But on a factual basis, if you have astigmatisim (sp?) then contacts will not work near as well as glasses (even the one's that supposedly "cure" it, are still not as good as the glasses lens...
     
  4. GarryW

    GarryW Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 1999
    Messages:
    162
    Likes Received:
    0
    Your right Scott. And I guess some people can't wear contacts(my wife) but I sure don't miss keeping them clean and scratch free.[​IMG]
    I have heard claims by people who went for the Lasik surgey and claim to see better than with contacts or corrective lens.
    Or are they the same people who buy expensive cables and can hear the difference?[​IMG]
     
  5. David Susilo

    David Susilo Screenwriter

    Joined:
    May 8, 1999
    Messages:
    1,197
    Likes Received:
    0
    Lasik surgery will create different problem. Seeing a light source (ie. night driving, reading LED signs at the airport) will be a problem. Most people WILL see streaks. This is according to my friend who's uncle is LASIK laser surgeon. His uncle told me NOT to take LASIK if I do a lot of night driving (which I do).
     
  6. Martin Rendall

    Martin Rendall Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2000
    Messages:
    1,043
    Likes Received:
    0
    That takes upgraditis to a whole new level.

    I friend of mine got the laser eye surgery thing done. Now he has no binocular depth perception* (which in most people is good to about 11 feet). I wouldn't go near that quackery myself.

    Martin.

    (*) Granted, you don't need depth perception to enjoy HT today, but who knows what kind of three dimensional holographic technology could exist in the future. You wouldn't want to miss out, would you?
     
  7. DanC

    DanC Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2000
    Messages:
    141
    Likes Received:
    0
    Kevin, I agree 100%. I noticed an immediate difference after I had my eyes checked and got my glasses. Everything wasn't as blurry as before[​IMG]
     

Share This Page