Calibrate speakers using DTS 5.1 or Dolby 5.1 on the Avia Disk?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin*Harley, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Is there a difference?

I understand DTS or Dolby is an intangible, personal preference, but considering more movies are recorded in Dolby should I calibrate for that?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

My mistake :b "Home Theater Tune-Up" DVD

I calibrated with DTS test tones and wondered if I am losing anything when I listen to a movie in Dolby Digital.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Well, it depends on your AV Receiver. Some units may have different output SPL levels for one or more of the HT speakers when comparing DTS vs. DD Calibration REF Levels.

I compared my S&V DTS Test Tones vs. Dolby Digital Test Tones (both @ 85 dB) and the only slight difference was my Calibration REF Mark (DTS slightly lower since its test tone was relatively louder - Yamaha RX-V995) - but ALL HT Speakers Levels were identical between the two sound formats.

NOTE: My S&V / AVIA Dolby Digital Calibration REF Mark @ 85 dB was almost identical to my Video Essentials Calibration REF Mark @ 75 dB - again, ALL HT Speakers Levels were identical.

Phil

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Depending on the receiver you have, you can test both DTS and DD based on the volume. For example, using test tones and a spl meter for DTS will allow you to set the volume for DTS per speaker and it's saved or you should write it down. Do the same for Dolby Digital and once again write it down or save it. I've done it for both and the receiver saves the information every time DTS is used or Dolby Digital. The only thing I do is turn down the volume a bit for DTS, but the settings remain the same.

6. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Go with the DTS - especially if you have a 6.1 setup. The Dolby does not emit a sound from just the rear speaker, but instead from all three surrounds.