What's new

Calibrate Paradigms (1 Viewer)

Pat_C

Agent
I have Paradigm Titans, a CC-170, and Atoms being pushed by an Onkyo Sr501. I want to calibrate them (I bought Avia), but after reading some posts on the subject, I'm worried about damaging my speakers in the process.

Can my set-up handle calibration at the suggested levels? I have no idea how loud reference levels will be, but I imagine it will put some stress on the Digms, and I'd hate to "pop" an Atom.

Anyone have any experience with calibrating these speakers or like speakers?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Set your speakers to small in the setup of the receiver. This will direct any low end bass and LFE to the sub. If you don't have one get one. You can still set the speakers to small for piece of mind if you have no sub but unless you plan on cranking the volume leave the speakers set to large and let them deal with it. You will not blow your speakers unless you crank it to the point of distortion(Clipping of receiver, heating of speaker coils etc). Now with Avia in mine and hopefully a SPL meter go ahead and calibrate your speakers. Since the speakers are 89db sensitive, theoretically it only takes 1watt to output 89db if you sit 1meter away. At most your receiver will probably put out 32-64watts while watching a movie or listening to music. Its the sudden transients that suck up the juice. But thats the job of the receivers internals to handle. Speakers can handle these sudden increase in levels. Sit back and enjoy.

Kevin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are listening to the instruction material on Avia at a "normal" level, you will not damage your speakers when it comes time to calibrate. The very slim possibility of damage would be if you had your receiver cranked to a rediculous level and accidentally went into the test tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks