What's new

Calgary Stores, help me find a good one. (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Where is a good Home Theater store in calgary, I am primairly concerned with people who know their video and give good service.

Any advice?

Brad E

Second Unit
There really isn't one place that stands out better than the others.
But if you're looking for a projector I suggest you check out www.projectorsplus.ca which is based in Calgary. You can make an appointment to demo units.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Unfortunately I have neither the money nor the room for a projector right now.

mostly lookign for an all round decent place.

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Name some brands you would be interested in seeing and hearing. I can probably give you a few names.

J

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well as far as TV's go, Panasonic Sony and Toshiba

As for speakers and amps, NAD ROTEL, PSB Paradigm B&W

thats what comes to mind off the top of my head.

Brad E

Second Unit
After a bit more thought, check out Soundsurround on Crowfoot (Cres..?) In that area anyways.
They have a bunch of individual rooms setup, which I liked.
As for knowledgable staff, can't help you there. In my experience it's been hit and miss.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Thanks Brad, I was int here the other day actually and it seemed good (selection wise) but a little more like future shop or best buy for service. I guess I just got spoiled by one place back home thigns were in my price range and awesome service, so far up here I ahvent found any place that has that service without having 30k price tags to go with it.

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Your looking for products and knowledge more assocaited with stores like Sounds of Music and General Audio.
Sounds of Music carries pretty much all the brands you listed. They are not exactly cheap but I have found the prices fair and the knowledge quite good.

J

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Yeah I went into Loyalist audio, and that place was nice, but most things there were priced in the 10-30k range thye just didn't seem to carry the price range of items I look for. thanks for ther tips i will try to check them out.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
greetings

The box stores have the stuff but not the information you can trust.

Go figure out what you want and just ask here ...

or if you are in calgary ... just drop me a line and I will tell you what I think of what ever tv you are considering ... since I don't care what you buy ...

regards

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well I am considering the 44" Toshiba DLP I will most lilely (unless they can fix it) be replacing my current toshiba which is a 36HFX71 I love that tv the PQ was great and I never had any problems with it (tillt he green tube started going) So I am mainly looking for somethignt hat can replace that tv for around 3000 canadian (I am hoping the extended warranty company will let me replace my tv with a cash equivalent) The big thigns for me right now is I dont want somethignt hat will give em a smaller 4:3 picture than my 36" did because well I still watch alot fo 4:3 programming and play video games.

So if anyone else has some suggests for me I would love to hear them.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John,

There's quite a few places in Calgary to try, for some higher end stuff, General Audio ( as mentioned ), K & W Audio, Smart Home Systems, Holmes Theater and Automation.

A&B Sound can be good to deal with. Soundsaround has a crappy return policy IMO, but a good selection of mid-fi gear. There are other smaller shops around too, that may be willing to make you some deals. Check the local yellow-pages too. And of course, Haggle. Most if not all these shops should let you take gear home to demo too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks