Calculus ????????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Mathius, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

It's been over ten years since I last had a math class so I having a very hard time grasping calculus. Where can I find a calculus book for dummies? [​IMG] [​IMG]. Or is there any online sites that can be useful?
    Thanks.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    So are you taking a Calculus class and having a hard time or are you trying to remember Calculus from 10yrs ago? There are plenty of decent text books online. What are you having trouble with (differential eqns, integration, etc.)?

3. Michael Mathius

Greg
    I'm taking a class. I did pick up The Complete Idiot's Guide to Calculus today[​IMG] [​IMG] .

4. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

Michael,

How's your algebra? I ask because, we had a saying back in HS/College: Most people fail Calculus because they don't know algebra!

5. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I second what Jim said. As someone who took a few tries to get past Calculus, :b Get your algebra in tune. Also, you Must Do Your Homework!!!!! If they don't assign enough problems per section, find more! Grab old textbooks from the library, thrift store, whatever, and do as many problems as you can! My biggest problem was classes with no required homework (so I didn't do any... [​IMG] ) and when it got to test time, Help! From another standpoint, from lots o' engineering classes, I learned something about math and equations. It boils down to: There is a problem. There is a "black box" method that will solve the problem. Learn the "black box" for each section, and plug n' chug. If you can rise above the equation churning, though, there is some good profound knowledge in Calculus that is really enjoyable. Integrals are like converting digital to analog... (samples->sine waves). It can be really fun. One of my professors told us about a time when they were working on a jet engine, and didn't bother to do the integral, just plotted some points on a curve. Well, it turns out that there was a spike of resonance that they missed, and blew up the engine. Whoops! Anyway, good luck, and have fun with it!

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Michael, are there any areas in particular that are giving you problems?

7. Michael Mathius

I'm hoping that by doing lots of problems, then I'll be alright come exam time. I started doing past test questions which seems to be helpful. I must say that I think I have a mental block on this course.

There is definitely lots of algebra to do. So far I've covered limits and derivatives.

Thanks.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm in the same boat as Michael.
    I never took algebra in HS (long story, experimental math programs suck) so when I went to college in 96 I had a hard time with calculus, now at a different school applied calculus is required to graduate, this is my last semester here so I've put it off as long as I can. They don't even allow my nice graphing calculator, the bastards.

9. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Took me 2 tries to pass the required Calculus class in graduate school, and I swear to this day the professor took mercy upon me and passed me just to be a nice guy.

I'll second, or third the Algebra connection and also add that you absolutely positively must keep up with the class from the very beginning.

Not that it helped much, but Barons made a book I used called Learn Calculus the Easy Way. Kind of an oxymoron, but it did help me a bit.

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I had a love affair with mathematics until I hit calculus in college. The affair ended right there. I just could get it & I had been a straight A student in Math until that point.

11. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Another thing is that it Really helps to have a great teacher. One bad math teacher can ruin someones love of mathematics,(or anything for that matter) and make it really hard to succeed. Take it from me. For me it was computers. I had computer science in high school on TRS-80's, and it kicked butt. We wrote games, programmed basic, and it was bliss. When I got to college, we were studying pascal on mainframes from someone who was taking pascal concurrently at a community college. (don't ask) and doing stupid business programming, really dry stuff. The whole scene was completly uncreative, dull, and left me really hating computers and programming for a long time. I had always wanted to get my own computer, but I blew it off, and I really floundered around for a long time. Actually, the film Hackers resurrected me from that space, and I'm really grateful for it. Damn I love that movie [​IMG]

12. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Anyone know of any good sites to refresh my Algebra?

~T

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    funny to think of it now, when I finished junior college and my A-levels and was waiting for the results and (hopefully) going to university, I worked as a relief teacher in my secondary school and taught maths. which included calculus.

today, I can't remember any of that bloody dy-dx stuff...

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Well, after the second day of this applied calc class I've decided to drop it. There's just no way I'm going to pass this shiz, If they allowed my trusty TI-92 no problems, but they aren't allowing graphing calculators and my algebra isn't up to it.

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The way they teach calculus in this country is absolutely dreadful.

To enjoy it, you must get it at a gut level. Once you do, once you understand something like derivatives on such a level, you're done, piece of cake, you will start seeing calculus all around you, kinda like watching the girl in the red dress in the matrix [​IMG]

Again, back to derivative, it did take me a long while to get it. Not to apply the formulas, but to really get it. But once you do, believe it or not, you won't need to memorise formulas anymore, you will derive[/] then (no pun intended).

Calculus is fun.

--
    Holadem

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I have no need to use it & no reason to try to "get it". It was too bad that Calculus had to end my love of math.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

18. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

19. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Philip,

How can you drop the class? Thought you needed it to graduate?

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer