1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Calculating speaker sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkRoberts, Aug 9, 2004.

1. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Is there a way of determining the sensitivity without taking 1w/1 meter readings? I notice that manufacturers seem to achieve quite high results but similar diy projects produce lower results, why? Most manufacturers end up with 90db+ and they are 8 ohm nominal. The only (that I have seen) high diy projects are either 4 ohm nom. or use horn tweeters. Could some of the guru's out there shed some light on the subject. Thanks, Mark

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

There's really no short answer to this.

Mfgr's will usually chose a specific frequency to test, that provides the highest SPL level. Frequently that frequency has no bearing on the passband where the driver will be used. For example, testing a 12" woofer at 1kHz often gives the highest sensitivity reading. But who ever uses a 12" driver at 1kHz?

Also some mfgr's 'fudge' their sensitivity ratings. :wink:

So take the published specs at face value, and do your own testing/measurements when creating a design.

3. MarkRoberts

I was hoping there was a way to ballpark it while in the designing process. Before the commiting to using specific drivers. I am sure there are allot of variables to this x-over design and t/s parameters etc. just wondering. Does that x-over pro/bass box pro software do any "estimated" response? Or any recommended x-over design software?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The XO design programs take whatever info you put into them and create an predicted FR plot.

When designing a new system, one should take their own measurements of the drivers placed in the baffle where they are going to be used. During this time it's a good idea to check sensitivity.

5. MarkRoberts

Thanks for the help Thomas. I was hoping there was a way to do it without the cost of the drivers upfront, but oh well. On a seperate (cloning) note I have finished taking measurements of the kestrel 2 TL from a pic. So I now have my cut list. I noticed that several of the pieces are angle mounted. Is there a way to determine what angles they are mounted at? Is it a simple matter of using a protractor? Thanks again for your help.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Yes just print out the picture, then use a copier to enlarge it if necessary.

If you're copying their design; and you know the drivers and the XO, you don't need to measure or model anything