Calculating Cost of Home Photo Printing

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Dautel, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Oct 6, 1998
    Lately, I find myself printing more and more digital photos at home. I’m also finding that friends and co-workers are asking me to print or duplicate photos for them. Also, I’m really getting addicted to each DVD cover is 10.8 x 7.25 = 78.3 sq-in of printed area.

The problem is cost ... I use an HP photo qualityt inkjet both at home and at work. Photo paper is getting cheaper (i.e. 50 sheets of Kodak glossy paper at Costco for $25), but one can spend a fortune on HP ink cartridges! I use a #78 color (srp $35) & a #15 B/W (srp $22).

I want to calculate the real cost for HP vs Epson vs Sony dye-subl. In order to do this, I need to know how far a std HP inkjet cartridge will go. Specifically ... best quality color photo (w/ PhotoREt) w/ normal saturation & ink volume settings ... approximately how many 8x10 color prints can I get from a single cartridge. How much does it cost me in ink to print a DVD cover (78.3 sq-in).

Are there any web sites out there that have tried to calculate this. Does anyone here have a good handle on this.

I also want to compare home printed photos to, say ... 4x6 pics printed at Target for $0.29 ea.

Any info would help.

UPDATE: WOW! [​IMG] Here's an article/test on exactly this subject using my printer!
    OK ... quick & dirty ... updating the assumptions, here's what I come up with. My assumptions are in red.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Jan 24, 1999
    My conclusion is that if I want prints, I go to Costco. This is after 3+ years of figuring out the cheapest and highest quality to get the photos I want onto paper.

20c/ea for 4x6, up to $1.99 for 8x10. Full Glossies, and at mine, color is spot on, and resolution is tops, and they're better than any consumer inkjet print I've ever seen, by a fair margin. I've tried MANY MANY online services, and the only one that matches Costco's quality is Of course, they are more expensive.