Calbrating Speakers ... HELP :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesMartin, Aug 22, 2001.

1. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

I am pretty new to home theater, I have only had my equipment for a couple of weeks and I have tried to calibrate my receiver and speakers by ear and though I had they set quite nicely. Then I start reading about using a SPL (?) meter and wondered how much better they would sound if I did it right. My question is how do I do it right? Here is what I know so far, please set me straight if I am wrong. BTW I have a Onkyo TX-DS595, 5 Klipsch Quintet speakers and a Klipsch KSW-10 sub.
    1-get the meter from radio shack (How much $?)
    2-Set the first speaker to 0db (I think it is the left one).
    3-Get into my "listening position" and point the meter towards the center and up at a 45 degree angle. Then adjust the volume knob until that speaker reached 75db.
    4-set all the rest of my speakers to 75db by adjusting them on the receiver +/- 10db.
    5-Set my sub to 75db? 85db?
    6-ENJOY!!!!!
    Does any of this sound remotely right? Wrong? Keep in mind that I am new to all of this and until tonight I have no idea even what a SPL meter looks like.
    Also should I buy a test tone disk or use the tones from my receiver? Any tips will be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks in advance
    James

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Go get the Avia Guide to Home Theater on DVD. You can find it online, and even at stores like Best Buy for $40-$50. It tells you everything you need to know about how to calibrate your system with an SPL meter.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

3. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Hey James,
    I also have the Onkyo 595 and just recently bought the Radio Shack SPL meter and calibrated using Video Essentials. I've read here that the internal tests tones on the Onkyo are not right, but I haven't tested this myself. I do know the Sub tone is much different than the one on VE.
    I would recommend the VE disc, it has a sub test tone, I read the Avia doesn't? Maybe I'm wrong. Also, the Radio Shack Analog SPL is about $30 and the digital is about $50.
    I used the method you mentioned to calibrate, while it didn't make a HUGE difference, it is noticable.
    Mike D.

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

James,
    I calibrated my system about 3 weeks ago and believe me, it sounds SO much better! I can't believe I went so long without having my system calibrated.
    Here's the Radio Shack link for the analog meter (it's got the price there as well):
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D2050
    Sounds like you've got the steps down pat. I went with the Video Essentials DVD which I picked up for $30 on the Web (800.com, I believe), but you can also use the tones on your receiver assuming they're correct (I heard that at least one of the Onkyos is not right). The VE DVD will review all of the steps for you, so no worries.
    Good luck!

5. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

Thanks alot for the replies. I will pick up the meter and one of the disks mentioned tonight and hopefully have the time to sit down and calibrate it correctly. It saddens me to hear the the Onkyo test tones are not "right". Wonder why? What do you guys mean it isn't right? Are the tones for each speakers at different levels or something?
    I have one more question about calibrating the sub. Where should I put the sub level (on the sub itself) at to start with? Right now I have it at about halfway and the level on the receiver at 0db.
    Thanks again
    James