Calble question mixing and matching analong & digital cables and sources

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jeff D, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

This must have been covered before, but I can't find the answer...

Digital cables are spec'd for digital tranmissions, but many folks use these cables for analog data. As far as I understand that if the frequency range and bandwidth of the cable can handle the load there's not a problem.

What about analog cables, like the canare 200MHz analog video cables? Could those be used as a digital coax cable?

Why would anyone want the V-5C cables over the V-3C for component video unless you have a very long run? V-3C's can handle 100MHz which is almost 2x the bandwidth HDTV.

While at it... what's the bandwidth of SACD and DVD-Audio? 192KHz 24bit, right

2. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Cornelius, so as long as the cable is 75ohm and the bandwidth of the cable is great enough you can use the cables interchangeably? (is that a word?)

My reason for the question about bandwidth of SACD and DVD-A is because I'm curious if the V-3C (100MHz) or V-5C (200MHz) could be used as the audio cables instead of video. There may be better calbes to use, I haven't even looked into this, I'm just trying to learn and understand. after looking at those links I still have no clue. There's no difference between KHz and kHz is there? The digitalaudioguide uses both in different places I thought kHz and KHz were the same, unlike kb KB, mb and MB.

Thanks!

4. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

Correct.

The V-3C or V-5C would work well for the SACD or DVD-A. There is no difference between KHz and kHz. The only unit prefixes that can think of there being a difference in the character being lower or uppercase is m (milli) and M (mega); and d (deci) and D (deca).

CJ