CALAMITY JANE - New Master?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GerardoHP, Feb 7, 2002.

1. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    TCM ran CALAMITY JANE last night in an amazing new print that popped right out of the screen with brilliant colors and deep blacks. This is one of my favorite movie musicals and I would love to own it the way I saw it last night, not in the washed-out print that's been around for the past 20-or-so years. Does anyone know if WB is using this new print for their upcoming DVD release?

2. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I can't confirm it, but if I were a punter, I would certainly bet on it being the new print.

Warner's are, thankfully, very fussy over the quality of their classic DVD releases.

If you look at their record so far, "A Star is Born","Annie get your Gun", "Gypsy", "My Fair Lady", etc, then you can certainly count on "Calamity Jane" looking a million bucks.

Garland's "The Harvey Girls" should also be a winner.

3. Jeff Koch

Jeff Koch Stunt Coordinator

I seem to recall hearing that some of the Calamity Jane screenings back in 1953 were interlocked three channel stereo! Wouldn't it be a treat if Warner Brothers had those original stereo tracks (if they did and still exist) and included them on the dvd. This is one disc I'm looking forward to.
    Jeff

4. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I have read and heard a lot of nonsense about hidden Lesbian themes in the movie and that the words to the song "Secret Love" have a different meaning.
    Sure you can take the Butch Doris Day character and have her living in a cabin with the feminine Allyn McLerie, but what does that prove.
    In the end, they both only have eyes for our male heroes.
    Myself like countless others have always enjoyed "Calamity Jane" for it's humour, songs, wonderful cast and it's pure clean Entertainment value.
    I have looked at these dumb suggestions and have dismissed them as just plain silly. ( Well maybe?)
    [​IMG]