What's new

Cagney & Lacey Complete Series Limited / Standard Edition Box Sets (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
[SIZE= 36px]Cagney & Lacey[/SIZE] The Complete Limited Edition Box Set is now available to order thru the link on the official Cagney & Lacey website.

30th Anniversary!

http://www.cagneyandlacey.com/
Cagney & Lacey: The Complete Collection Limited Edition (38 discs, 125 episodes, 93+ hours)
Ground breaking 14 Emmy award winning television police drama starring Sharon Gless and Tyne Daly as two female cops in serious portrayals of a tough profession. With contrasting personalities, each has a different perspective on both personal and professional situations. As the two tough women faced the challenges and triumphs as real women, not victims , they amassed a huge and loyal fan base.

• Immensely popular TV Police drama

• First series to tackle women’s issues in a realistic portrayal

• Includes 125 episodes and extras on 38 DVDs

• IMDb rating of 6.7 stars

• Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless combined to win the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama for 6 years for this series

• The series has been nominated for 76 prestigious awards including 36 Emmy Awards

• Includes: The Pilot, The Lost Episodes with Meg Foster, 4 movies, an exclusive fan booklet and autographed photo of Cagney & Lacey, the audio book by Barney Rosenzweig Cagney & Lacey...and Me and the British Film Institute's 30th Anniversary Cagney & Lacey tribute event from London

• Format: Region 1 (NTSC)

[SIZE= 18px][COLOR= #ff0000]NOTICE: [/COLOR][/SIZE]Your Limited Edition Box Set may have a typo stating it contains 36 Discs. You should still have 38 Total inside your box set. If there are any issues please contact VEI Customer Service at - [COLOR= #0000ff][email protected][/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff0000]The standard Non-Limited Edition Box Set is already available for pre-order thru amazon and other retailers. (MOD feel free to provide links)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff0000]the Standard Non Limited set will NOT include the original Pilot that starred Loretta Swit and also the Lost episodes that starred Meg Foster! [/COLOR]

Show producer and fighter for these DVD releases Barney Rosenzweig has posted news and info also on his blog.

http://barney-cagneyandlacey.blogspot.com/2012/11/as-promised-at-long-last-here-it-is.html?m=0

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What's the story on the lost ep, and why was it lost?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/325223/cagney-lacey-complete-series-limited-standard-edition-box-sets#post_4001884
What's the story on the lost ep, and why was it lost?

They consider the Meg Foster Eps the Lost Episodes. She was in Sharon Gless' original role.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is possibly the stupidest way I have ever seen a series released.
The standard edition is complete, but missing the pilot and a chunk of episodes from the beginning, meaning it isn't complete in any way.
It's even worse than starting the Danny Thomas Show with season 5.
Of course, if a separate release arrives eventually with the pilot and "lost" episodes, I will happily take back my criticisms.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I really wish people who make rude comments regarding the nature of the release would maybe take into consideration what a long ordeal this has been to release beyond the first season on DVD. the producer Barney Rosenzweig and many others have begged and pleaded for years to get MGM to release more seasons. MGM would NOT. They basically had to wait for MGM to lose their distribution rights on the show to even try to release it themselves.

The current price of the LIMITED EDITION set IMO is CHEAP! You get all the pre- Sharon Gless episodes in it. I could be wrong in saying this but I think the powers that be would only let them get a release on the more rare Meg Foster / Loretta Swit episodes only to be released in a limited quantity for hardcore fans.

If you love the show and want the Limited Set I say please try to order it. For the casual fan the standard release set would please them... however currently those prices can be more expensive than the Limited Edition.

This wasn't some box set that they lazily tried to get released this has been in the making for many years.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
I was much too young to watch the series when it was first broadcast, but I remember catching it in syndication on a few local stations when I was a teenager. I never got around to buying the original Season Two DVDs, but may pick up the 30th Anniversary Collection.
As I understand it, the following options are available for the series:
Season Two (titled "The True Beginning") as released by MGM (2007)
--22 Episodes
--"Breaking the Laws of TV" Featurettes
The Menopause Years as released by S'More Entertainment (2009)
--4 Reunion Movies - also available individually
--Archive of American Television Interviews with Barney Rosenzweig, Sharon Gless, Tyne Daly, and Barbara Corday
The "Complete" Series (Gless/Daly) as released by Millenium Media (2012)
--119 Episodes that make up Seasons Two (22), Three (7), Four (22), Five (24), Six (22), & Seven (22)
The 30th Anniversary Collection as released by VEI (2012), limited to 3000 copies
--Pilot Movie (Swit/Daly)
--6 Episodes (Foster/Daly) that make up Season One
--119 Episodes (Gless/Daly) that make up Seasons Two (22), Three (7), Four (22), Five (24), Six (22), & Seven (22)
--4 Reunion Movies - sans extras from Menopause Years (?)
--BFI's Cagney & Lacy 30th Anniversary Event
I can understand some of the frustrations in the way this show's been released, but given the general obscurity of the Foster/Daly episodes, it seems understandable why it's only in the limited set. For most viewers, Cagney & Lacey is Sharon Gless & Tyne Daly. Have they ever included the Foster/Daly episodes in the syndication package with the Gless/Daly episodes?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Powell&Pressburger said:
I really wish people who make rude comments regarding the nature of the release would maybe take into consideration what a long ordeal this has been to release beyond the first season on DVD. the producer Barney Rosenzweig and many others have begged and pleaded for years to get MGM to release more seasons. MGM would NOT. They basically had to wait for MGM to lose their distribution rights on the show to even try to release it themselves.
The current price of the LIMITED EDITION set IMO is CHEAP! You get all the pre- Sharon Gless episodes in it. I could be wrong in saying this but I think the powers that be would only let them get a release on the more rare Meg Foster / Loretta Swit episodes only to be released in a limited quantity for hardcore fans.
If you love the show and want the Limited Set I say please try to order it. For the casual fan the standard release set would please them... however currently those prices can be more expensive than the Limited Edition.
This wasn't some box set that they lazily tried to get released this has been in the making for many years.
...and it's incomplete.
It would take, what, an extra disc or two to make the standard set complete? Is that asking too much?
Yeah, it may have been a long road to get the series released, but dropping out the first season and pilot from the standard release that will most likely wind up being all that's available for a reasonable price in the future means it's still an incomplete, flawed set.
It's like a strange reverse of all the shows that are abandoned with just a season to go... and everyone rightly despises it when that happens.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't know why the idiots at MGM have been so difficult about releasing the series. I guess the assumption is that this series skews towards an older audience who are less likely to buy an adult-themed series. Plus, I'm guessing the previous DVD sets did not sell well. I'm just glad that the show has finally arrived! I understand why they're offering two versions. People can simply choose whichever one they want. The Meg Foster Episodes are not really "Lost", as they're claiming. They were aired as part of the syndication package.
For anyone whose reluctant to invest in the whole series you'll be happy to know that all of the seasons are available at Amazon Instant Video so you can collect (or sample) any era of the show that you want.
Now, I'm hoping for a release of Sharon's follow-up series The Trials of Rosie O'Neill.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I bought the Limited Edition set and it arrived on my doorstep 2 days ago. I havent opened the display box to examine the contents, but for $139.99 it was a bargain and a better deal than the regular set that only includes the Gless-as-Cagney episodes.
VEI is a great little company whose prices are always more than reasonable. When they had the Gimme a Break Complete Series set for pre-order in 2010 I only paid $41.99 for 6 seasons.
I guess they figured some people may only want the "true" Cagney and Lacey episodes, so they marketed the regular retail set to appeal to those customers who may not want all the TV-movies and Foster episodes.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I recieved my Cagney & Lacey Set this morning. (I chose to pay for overnight shipping - yes it was expensive)

The one thing I should point out and will mention on the start of the thread is that don't be alarmed if you recieve your Limited Edition set and it states 36 Disc Set... Don't worry it does contain the 38 Disc set. It was a typo on the distributors part. If there are any issues you can always contact customer service at VEI and they should correct the issue. [email protected]

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Just purchased this set. Was a kid in the 80s & aware of the show, but never saw it as an adult in syndication, so it's pretty new to me. Just finished the Loretta Swit-starring pilot movie & enjoyed it.

I purchased the Limited Edition set through VEI for $53.99. Shipping was free & it took about 10 days to arrive.

Someone mentioned earlier the limited edition was limited to 3000 units, so I'm happy I got to pick it up for that steal of a price three years after it was originally released!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Now, I'm hoping for a release of Sharon's follow-up series The Trials of Rosie O'Neill.

I've been hoping for that, too, and now it looks like it's going to happen.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Trials-Rosie-ONeill-DVDs-Planned/22360

Per the article, the studio isn't named, but since it was an MTM series, I'm thinking this is probably coming from Shout Factory.

There were 2 seasons, but hopefully this will be a complete series set. [Note: The article says there were 26 episodes, but some episode guides list 34; maybe there were some Season 2 episodes that never aired?]

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
WOW....I am so stoked for this! Sharon was superb in it! I still remember the controversy that erupted when she uttered the *t* word on the air. I wasn't as big a fan of the second year when Ed Asner came on, but then I didn't really see all those episodes, because CBS had moved it to Thursdays at 9 and I usually was working that night.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, I didn't see much of the 2nd season either. The first season, it was in the old Cagney & Lacey timeslot on Monday nights, which was a great place for it. For Season 2, it was moved opposite Cheers. And even though by that time Cheers was in its final years and not as good, it was still one of those shows we always watched. So with this release there will be several new-to-me episodes that I didn't think I'd ever get to see.

Vislor Turlough.

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Bates
I bought a German release of this recently.Has the pilot and 6 episodes with Meg Foster as Cagney.Don't think it has later tv movies,which is fine.Wanted to see the origins of the show as only the first complete season with Sharon Gless ever got a British release.Interesting seeing the short Season 1,it's not quite what the show became with Gless but is getting there.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I've been hoping for that, too, and now it looks like it's going to happen.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Trials-Rosie-ONeill-DVDs-Planned/22360

Per the article, the studio isn't named, but since it was an MTM series, I'm thinking this is probably coming from Shout Factory.

There were 2 seasons, but hopefully this will be a complete series set. [Note: The article says there were 26 episodes, but some episode guides list 34; maybe there were some Season 2 episodes that never aired?]
I've never watched the series, so don't know the broadcast history, but epguides.com (which often has incorrect info) list the second season as:

19. 2- 1 12 Sep 91 Real Mothers
20. 2- 2 19 Sep 91 Knock Knock
21. 2- 3 3 Oct 91 Wolf Pack
22. 2- 4 26 Sep 91 Domestic Silence
23. 2- 5 1 Jan 08 This Can't Be Love
24. 2- 6 7 Nov 91 Life Support
25. 2- 7 14 Nov 91 Happy Birthday Or Else
26. 2- 8 14 Nov 91 Dr. Psychedelic
27. 2- 9 12 Dec 91 Battle Fatigue
28. 2-10 22 Nov 91 Cultural Differences
29. 2-11 22 Nov 91 Lady Luck
30. 2-12 22 Nov 91 The Other Woman
31. 2-13 22 Nov 91 Heartbreak Hotel
32. 2-14 22 Nov 91 Sweet Sixteen
33. 2-15 22 Nov 91 Double Bind
34. 2-16 22 Nov 91 Role Reversal

I think it extremely unlikely seven episodes were shown on one night (epguides often does this when episodes were not originally broadcast).
Also unusual (even for them) is that the episodes aren't completely in aired order (might be production order but hard to say since they don't list a production number or order). Also, that 2008 broadcast date is suspect. But, as I said, I'm not familiar with the series, so someone with more knowledge will have to chime in.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think it extremely unlikely seven episodes were shown on one night (epguides often does this when episodes were not originally broadcast).
I think it's quite unlikely myself-- that's gotta be a misprint (after all, a night of television isn't that long, and if seven episodes were shown in one night, it would be 2 A.M. before the local news even came on a CBS station).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks