What's new

cage match: Rotel RMB1075 vs. Parasound HCA1206 (1 Viewer)

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Who comes out of the cage a winner?
I know 1 has an extra channel. Is that enough to tip the scales?

I can get both at similar prices, and have no opportunity to in-home audition them. Both have similar power and stats.

I'll be using HK525 as pre-pro in a 6.1 movie setup. No multi-channel music. I have 5 Dahlquist qx6 bookshelfs all around w/qx60 center. The HK drives them well, but turn it and it the sound compresses....loses dynamics.....thinking I might need an amp to open up these speakers. When in 2-channel mode I can get much louder volume and cleaner dynamics than in 6.1 mode. Room is 22x13 with 5 (yes five) doors, 11 ft. ceilings.

Both are probably considered low-to-mid-fi by some audiophiles, but keep in mind this is my first toe-in-the-water approach to separates so I'm going slowly.

Looking for owner's experiences and opinions with these two amps.

Thanks a lot!
Guy

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. I have the Parasound 1206 and am satisfied with it. It is bridgeable for two channels if you so choose plus it has output level per channel which to my ears makes a difference. I like the fact that it has an extra channel along with being THX certified. I did check out the Rotel 1075 which wasn't bad but just a bit laid back for my taste. The 1206 does sound more forward. Mind you, the thing is heavy though which bodes well given the parts used and beefier construction throughout. Good luck!

Cheers!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I am using my 525 as a pre/pro with an ATI AT1505....and it is working out great!

The Rotel 1075 was on my list as well, but I wanted more power.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I was going to post something similar - but I thought the appropriate comparison would be against the HCA-1205A. Or the RMB-1095 vs the HCA-2205.

For my own setup, I'll be using Paradigm v2 Studios (Currently 40s - Hopefully 60s or 80s soon) w/ a RSP-1066. I still am looking for a good amp to pair it with as I know that there should be a good synergy between the 3 components.

So for my setup - 1075 or 1205A?

Eric A

Second Unit
I previously owned a Rotel RB-985 MkII and now own a Parasound HCA-1206. These are not the same (985-1075) but should be similar in sound characteristics.

The Rotel is a very good amp. It will run cooler. I never ran out of power with the Rotel although it did get a bit more strained when played at loud volumes. My overall impressions were always great of the Rotel.

The Parasound is bigger, heavier and will run hotter. It has a much bigger power supply and capacitance reserves. It uses MOSFETs and is a bit smoother. My overall impressions of the Parasound is great bass and maybe a bit better overall resolution than the Rotel.

I would be proud to own either amp, hey wait am minute, I did. What made me choose the Parasound? Overall flexibilty. The 4-5-6 channel configuration sold me. Right now I am using it to power 5 channels and a sub. Later I plan on using it to power my back 4 channels and 2 subs.

I say go with the Parasound.

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys. Great feedback!

Ernest: yeah. the 1075 vs 1205 would be a "fairer" comparison, but I have the opportunity right now in my life to get either the 1075 or 1206 at right around $700, both used. So that's the basis for my thread. I should've pointed that out earlier.

Eric: Thanks for that feedback! I knew the Parasound was bigger and hotter running.....but I didn't want to sway my decision away from it (although it is getting near winter here in NH and I could use the extra heater in the room!:) Ultimately, it's the sound that counts! I've read a lot of good things about each, but wanted to hear from people who've heard/owned them.

I was leaning toward the 1206 but now this thread has confirmed it. I'll pick it up and see how the synergy is with my system/room. Merry Christmas to me! :)

Do people typically leave these amps "ON" all the time? I see no trigger for the 1206 and have heard SS amps need time to charge up before sounding their best.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I think the trigger is usually so that there's a delay for your amp so you wont get the *pop* sound from your speakers when you turn on your preamp. That is, of course, if you turn off your preamp b/c it really wouldn't make sense to turn one off and not the other. Oh yeah - Guy - YGPM!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks