What's new

Cactus Flower / Age of Consent - double bill from Mill Creek (1 Viewer)

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Why can’t they post if a release has subtitles? I looked at a few of their releases I own to see if they stated it, only one did but I know the ones I have do indeed have subtitles even though they don’t mention it. I can’t understand why MC doesn’t realize this is important to some potential customers. Shout does it. TT does it. KL is hit and miss.

You and I are I think the only people who need this information prior to ordering DVD's etc....that is why certain labels such as Mill Creek are not bothered in rendering this information on their web-site ........but things have got better over the years but in general people with HOH problems are regarded as annoying individuals .

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don't have many Mill Creek blu rays but their blu rays of Sony's The Lady From Shanghai and Postcards From The Edge look first rate to these old eyes. I was hoping for a TT release too but if this is all that we're going to get, I'll take it. I think it's unlikely Sony would license a title on blu ray to one company while planning on licensing it to another company (like TT) too. But in the event, they do, the Mill Creek is inexpensive enough that I won't feel ripped off upgrading to a TT of Cactus Flower.
If anything a film would go to Twilight Time or Criterion first first before Mill Creek. Some already have or were later released by Sony such as "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner " I don't see any point in Sony withholding a newer master, if one exists, for a film leased out by Sony. If there is a new master of "Cactus Flower" I assume Mill Creek will get it. Not a great example but lets see if anyone notices a difference between to two releases of Strait-Jacket, a Sony Picture, this month. One is a double feature with Berserk from Mill Creek, the other a single feature from Shout! . Currently the double feature is selling for $9 and the single feature for $23 on Amazon.

Last edited:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Powerhouse Indicator should prep a Goldie Hawn at Columbia Blu Ray box set.

Butterflies are Free
Cactus Flower
Dollar$
Seems Like Old Times
There’s a Girl in my Soup

Not sure if Shampoo is also coming to UK courtesy of Criterion and if it isnt that’s another option or a single release title.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Cactus Flower was on TCM today. I thought it looked fine. It is available for about the next week on the Watch TCM App for those who have Fire TV or other platforms that have the TCM App. TCM App on Fire TV recently was upgraded to include the live stream of the East and West Coast feeds of the live broadcast of TCM. First time I have able to see TCM live feed in HD since I have Verizon Fios, the only major cable provider that does not carry TCM HD.

There is a placeholder for this release on Amazon but it is not available to order at the time of my writing this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKYKQQ8

Last edited:

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I noticed today that my Amazon preorder for this title dropped down to $8.39, the current price. I guess we still have to wait and see about the quality but as someone said earlier it certainly is a bargain (unless the transfers are complete trainwrecks or something).

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Indicator just announced Age of Consent
(Michael Powell, 1969)
Release date: 19 November 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Based on Norman Lindsay's controversial autobiographical 1935 novel, Age of Consent is the story of an artist (James Mason), grown tired of producing art for wealthy Americans, who moves to the wilds of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef where he meets Cora (Helen Mirren), a teenage girl who inspires him and becomes his muse – as well as the object of his desire.

The penultimate film from the great Michael Powell (Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, Peeping Tom), Age of Consent explores the obsessive nature of an artist approaching the twilight of his career. Misjudged and mis-handled on its initial release (when the distributor removed key scenes and re-scored the film), Age of Consent is now regarded as one of Powell’s key works.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Two presentations of the film: The Film Foundation's 2005 restoration of the original 106-minute Director's Cut; and the 96-minute 1969 Theatrical Version
• The John Player Lecture with Michael Powell: The Beauty of the Image (1971): archival audio recording of the celebrated filmmaker in conversation with Kevin Gough-Yates at London’s National Film Theatre
• The Guardian Interview with Michael Powell (1986): archival audio recording of the filmmaker in conversation with Sheila Whitaker at the National Film Theatre
• Audio commentary with film historian Kent Jones (2009)
• Ian Christie on Michael Powell and ‘Age of Consent’ (2018): the respected academic and author of Arrows of Desire: Films of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger discusses Powell’s life and work
• Making 'Age of Consent' (2009, 17 mins): Kevin Powell, composer Peter Sculthorpe and editor Anthony Buckley recall the turbulent production and release history of the film
• Martin Scorsese on ‘Age of Consent’ (2009, 6 mins): the acclaimed director discusses the impact and legacy of Powell’s film
• Helen Mirren: A Conversation with Cora (2009, 13 mins): the award-winning actor reflects on one of her earliest and most memorable film roles
• Down Under with Ron and Valerie Taylor (2009, 10 mins): a conversation with the celebrated underwater photographers
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Samm Deighan, an overview of contemporary critical responses and historic articles on the film
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD112
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071687

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members