What's new

Cabo San Lucas: Where to stay, What to do? (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Just booked airfare to Cabo San Lucas for early December. Now my wife & I are trying to find some lodging and cool things to do while there. We're going with another couple so we would kinda like to get a 2bdrm condo, preferably close to the beach. Also looking for ideas on good restaraunts and fun nightlife. Any suggestions?

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
We stayed at Esperanza, pretty pricey. If you want something more affordable, stay at the Westin Regina. My wife recommends it highly.

Things to do... first rent a car. You'll need it to get around.

For shopping I recommend San Jose Del Cabo over Cabo San Lucas. It's more relaxed and less touristy and pushy, but with all little tourist places to buy stuff.

They have a grocery store there that's pretty good, much cheaper than eating out. If you do eat, I highly recommend Rossy's, right off the road in San Jose Del Cabo. It's very authentic and affordable, with excellent shrimp and fish tacos.

I don't recommend eating in Cabo San Lucas unless you want to pay too much for food. :) Of course if a place looks good, go for it.

Things to do in Cabo San Lucas:

The Arc (El Arco). Take a boat out there, don't pay more than $7 a person... there are tours for even cheaper than that. The snorkeling is JUST OK there, kinda fun but not as good as other places.

My wife highly recommends sand dune 4-wheeling. She raves about it. I never did it while there though.

Cuban Cigars: Lots of cigar shops and they all carry Cubans. Fun to smoke while you're there. Cuban Cohiba are the best.

Cabo Wabo: it's OK, over-hyped but OK. Other Tequila joints are better IMO. There's a Mexican restaurant called "Poncho's" that has a huge Tequila menu. Definitely do some Tequila tasting though, expensive sipping Tequila is great.

Snorkeling. There are two primary beaches for snorkeling. Chileno and Santa Maria. I recommend Chileno over Santa Maria. The water is more tranquil there and the fish more abundant, it's also less busy (more tours go to Santa Maria than the farther out Chileno). Get here by car, you won't see any signs or anything and it's weird getting to them, but once you see a tiny path pull off to get there. You have to be on the right side of the road (the ocean side going north) to get there. Snorkel at both places though, and also Arco if you have the snorkel bug. I strongly recommend renting equipment at a local dive shop before you go, a good snorkel, mask and fins will be fitted to you and just as cheap as the rentals there but for more much better equipment. The water is a little cool, but not terribly so. Very swimmable IMO.

Golfing. Los Cabos is the golf capital of Mexico. Tons of great courses there. Cabo Del Sol is the best of the bunch. Place the Ocean Course. It's expensive though. Play twilight rate (after 1) and you'll pay almost half less. You get a bunch of water + all the fish/shrimp tacos you want (on the course on hole 10). If you want a more affordable course, go to Raven Golf Club, if you do a time share pitch it's really cheap.

Time share pitches, you will get approached for this, but just politily decline, don't show any interest, but no need to be rude.

Whale Watching. We didn't do it, but go for it. Not sure if many are there in December but they have lots of tours if it's in season.

If you have a car, maybe you want to drive out to Todos Santos, heard it was kinda cool but we didn't get out there.

Also, when you get there, get lots of 20 peso bills. Use those for tipping.

Have fun!

We might be going back there this year, not sure yet.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Ryan,
Thanks for the great info! :emoji_thumbsup:
I definately love to snorkel so we will be checking out those recommended sites. Also love a good Cuban cigar so that will be a no-brainer. Thanks again for the info, had to print it out so that I wouldn't lose it.
Phil

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Cabo Wabo: it's OK, over-hyped but OK. Other Tequila joints are better IMO. There's a Mexican restaurant called "Poncho's" that has a huge Tequila menu. Definitely do some Tequila tasting though, expensive sipping Tequila is great.
I LOVED Cabo Wabo! We spent many nights there during the week we were in Cabo last year and had a blast every time. Live bands playing rock and roll with great tequila! :emoji_thumbsup:

We stayed at the Playa Grande which is an awesome place but it's a timeshare. If you have a timeshare and can exchange, I highly recommend it. It's within walking distance to downtown Cabo.

I also recommend the ATVs. They were a blast!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks