Cabling Setup for a 3 System Owner

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Flynn, May 14, 2003.

1. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Here is my current setup (inputs on reciever & TV):

TV:
    1 Component Video - Currently used by my DVD/Reciever
    1 S-Video Input
    1 RCA Composite input (on front of TV)

Reciever:
    1 Component Video Output - Currently out to TV
    1 RCA Audio Input - Currently used for TV/Cable TV Audio
    1 Optical In

Now my dilemma is this, I own all three major consoles (or will own in a few weeks), Xbox, PS2, Gamecube.

What is the best way to cable all these to my TV/Reciever?

I've already determined that the Xbox should go into the optical, since it is the only system that fully supports 5.1 in-game. But how do I go about cabling everything else? I'll need a way to share my ONE S-Video input between all three systems, as well as making sure I can get audio from all three systems shared as well.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I picked up a Monster cable that can connect to all of the games on one end and has a single RCA and SVideo output into the receiver. Since you can only play one at a time you just plug the appropriate machine in without needing any additional inputs on the receiver.

Of course you would want to run the X-Box digital audio direct.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

There are plenty of switching boxes available for just that purpose. Most any place that sells video game consoles should sell a switcher too...they normally have 3 or 4 inputs and a single output that will run to your reciever.

With the current consoles having digital outputs, I'm sure somebody makes one with digital audio connections so you can have your XBOX and PS2 connected digitally.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...ystem%20switch

Above is what EBgames has on their website, but there are a ton out there.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I picked up one of the 4 system Pelican switches, and it works fine for me. As for your setup, here's what I'd suggest:

Video:
    Xbox, Ps2, GC to switch, switch to Svideo on TV.

Audio:
    Xbox to optical in on receiver, PS2,GC to switch to RCA audio in on receiver.

Only problem is that the switch will probably only go Svideo->svideo, so you'll need the svideo cables for all three consoles.

5. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Chris, if you're willing to spend some money try the AudioAuthority 1154 component switcher. It's around $168 but offers four HD component inputs with optical, coaxial and analog audio inputs for each. It also auto switches from one source to another based on which source is receiving a signal, converts optical to coax and vice versa. I don't have one yet but plan on buying soon.

http://www.audioauthority.com/aaccon...1154c5577.html

You can buy it cheaper then what is stated on the site. Click on the Copperbox link toward the bottom.

You can see this thread for more info.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=110726

6. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I think thats a little bit of overkill. I am using a $20 a/v switch box to switch component video. Add something similar and you are all set for the audio side as well.

Mark

7. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I second James' suggesstion of the Audio Authority switcher.
    If you have an HD setup and want 5.1 sound out of your DVD and consoles with no headaches or reaching around components to press buttons, get this switch. While the price is steep, it works flawlessly.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

How do you plan to hook everything up? The best way would be to use the expensive method James has.

The way I'd do it (being a cheapskate) would get a regular composite switcher and use that for the component inputs (if that would work, which I think it should, otherwise you could just get a component switcher) and then another switcher for the optical audio (from PS2 and X-Box, connect the GameCube directly to the receiver).

9. James St

10. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I use a "composite as component" switcher myself, and I have my Xbox, PS2 and digital cable audio into my receiver through a Recoton optical switcher (GC audio is direct into TV). Works great and all told cost around $35. That Audio Authority switcher is nice, if a little ugly and expensive. This JVC switcher is more "component" looking and cheaper.

11. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Ok, maybe I can make this a bit easier if I give links to images of my current components, and then we can see what inputs/outputs I have, and what would be the best way.

I like the idea of that Audio Authority switcher, seeing as how I can use optical out on both my Xbox and my PS2!

TV:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=XL#morephotos

Reciever:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=XL#morephotos

Bear in mind that the ONE component video input on my TV is taken by the component video connection from my reciever/DVD player.

12. James St

Which ever switcher you use the video hook ups will be the same. You will need to buy an additional component cable either way though.

Video:
    Run a component cable from the back of your tv to the output of the switcher. This will give you four component inputs now instead of one. Plug your dvd player and each console into the component switcher inputs and you are set.

Audio:
    With the composite switcher run Xbox via optical, PS2 and Cube via analog directly to the receiver inputs. Use the buttons to switch component video from one source to another.

With the Audio Authority switcher run optical cables from Xbox and PS2 to the corresponding optical inputs you hooked up your component cables for each console. Do the same with the analog cable from your Cube. Now run an optical cable from the AA optical out to your receiver's optical input. Run an analog audio cable from the AA analog audio out to the analog in on your receiver. Hide the AA box behind your rack since it will automatically switch sources for you. Turn on whatever source you want to play and thats it. (Note: You can only use one source at a time.)

Shit, I'm late for Wolfenstein.[​IMG]

13. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

So I buy the component AA switcher, get component cables for all 3 systems, and one more for my DVD/receiver. All the component cables go throught the AA switcher, which in turn is connected to my TVs component input.

Optical cables connect my Xbox and PS2 to the AA switcher, but for Gamecube I must use the analog connections on my receiver. EDIT: I do notice that on the 1154 (although the picture is small) there seems to be analog audio located on the right hand side of the back. Can I use these?

So the cables I'd have to buy are:

Xbox - Component Video & Optical Audio
    PS2 - Component Video & Optical Audio
    Gamecube - Component Video
    Reciever - Component Video & Optical Audio (for use as output from switcher)

This is correct, right? I just want to verify what exactly I'll be buying when I decide to set this up in a few weeks.

Thanks for the help everyone!

14. James St

[​IMG]

Here's a larger pic. It has four of everything including analog. I don't think it converts analog to digital so you would need to run an analog audio cable as well digital.

15. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Ok, so if I'd have to run analog anyways, I'm better off just running it form my Gamecube directly to my receiver.

I think, barring any unforseen incidents, that I'm going to pick one of these up, and hook everything up via component and digital (where I can).

It'll be a tad more expensive, but I'll be hooking everything up the best possible way.

WHat kind of signal degradation should I expect from having it set up like this? Close to nothing, if any, I'd assume, right?

16. James St

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'm using an 4-port s-video/composite switcher for my PS2/GC/SNES/Saturn/Genesis/Dreamcast/NES set up. I picked up a Madcatz universal cable at a local B&M that plugs into the GC (actually using it for the SNES), Dreamcast, and the PS2. There is also an Xbox-Sony-Nintendo cable as well. It will do the job for about $10. Cheap alternative, and it kept me from having to daisy-chain two a/v switchers.

Or if you get receiver upgradeitis, the Denon 1803 has 7-svideo inputs and 2 component. That's my next move when I have the cash [​IMG] A little pricey though at about $500.

18. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I have a Loewe Planus widescreen TV (PAL). It takes component video but only seems to have the Scart style sockets at the back. The GameCube I bought (just yesterday) can evidently output component video, but the component cable illustrated on the back of the GC box seems to end with the three coloured RGB plugs (the red, green and blue 'pins' - not sure of the correct terminology here) rather than the bulkier Scart plug. I'm a bit irked by this as the only way as the only way I can play my newly bought Zelda game is by plugging it into my VCR (which is also connected to my Loewe). There's a spare Scart socket at the back of the Loewe so I'm assuming that a PAL compatible 'switcher' of some sort (to connect the 3 pins to the Scart socket) is in order. Anyone have any advice about this? This thread has been useful anyway in alerting me to the idea that such a switcher may (hopefully) exist, anyway...