What's new

Cabling/Receiver Questions (1 Viewer)

plsmrvll

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat Somerville
Bear with me, somewhat of an overwhelmed newbie with all this. Here's what I have:

LG Plasma, wall mounted, 2 HDMI in (along with component, S, etc)
Time Warner-Motorola HD/DVR 3416
Toshiba DVD/R
Xbox 360
Pioneer Receiver (no HDMI...bummer)
BR Player to come in near future

As the TV is wall mounted I want to minimize the cabling that I have to run (in wall) up there. I'm a bit confused on the best way to configure the cabling to do this. I'm figuring a new receiver is needed, I'm seeing some in the $500 price range with 3 HDMI in, 1 Out with upconversion. That being said, do i run the DVR, DVD/R and future BR via HDMI into the receiver? The Xbox via component to the receiver and the upconversion will send it via HDMI to the TV?

What about all the audio, I'm assuming the HDMI connections will deal with that right?

The last question (I think) is a connection between the DVR and the DVD/R so I can record a feed onto a DVD...and I have 2 feeds coming out of the DVR, one to the receiver, the other to DVD/R?

Thanks for the help!

Pat

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If you plan on getting a full featured A/V receiver with upconversion, you can get away with a single HDMI from receiver to the TV. I would also run a set of RCA R/L analog audio, just in case you want to watch TV without surround.

The audio from the DVR, DVD/R and Blu-ray would be via HDMI. The X-Box would require an optical or coax audio cable, because component is video only.

Sorry, but I can't help on the DVR -> DVD/R questions.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
As long as the DVR sends the signal out different outputs, at the same time, it should work ok. Since you can't record HD to disc, from a DVR, just s-video with red & white audio cables will be fine, going to dvd recorder.

plsmrvll

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat Somerville
Jeff/Ed...thanks for the replies! Glad to hear I'm on the right track...

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks