Cabling Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Brown, Jul 31, 2002.

1. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

Im curious to see if it was possible to split out all my components to give me the option of not using my receiver. ( My wife hasnt been able to figure it out yet ).

If this is possible, will there be a significant loss in signal?

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    James,
    Not exactly sure what you're getting at, but using the receiver as a video/audi switcher is by far the easiest way to control your system IMHO, my wife LOVES having a simple one macro button on the universal remote to watch either Directv or regular local channels, all hooked up thru the receiver.

Can you give us more details...system components etc.?

Alfer

3. Steve Cross

Steve Cross Agent

I agree with Alf, switching through your components seems much easier than using an a/v switch, especially if you can program macros into your remote (with macros, you can asign several key/button strokes to one button) i.e. you can program your tv, receiver, and cable box, (or any combination of a/v inputs)to come on with one single button, (i.e. m1) some can even set your receivers volumes in stereo, DPL, etc when switching components .
    but if you don't have a macro programable remote, or still seems too complicated (like it is for me). you can can keep your receiver and get one of these http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...1%5F000&Page=1

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

as others have already said, by far, the easiest method (imo) is to run everything through your receiver.

what exactly does your wife not understand about the switching? i had to show my ex how to run it, but she got it pretty quick.

i just said something like this:
    1. turn on tv
    2. turn on receiver - push button called "dvd" (or whatever component)
    3. turn on dvd (or whatever) and press "play"[/list=1]

heck...even she could figure that out. [​IMG]

5. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for not making myself clear. My plan was to split both audio and video outputs from each of my components with a Y connector to feed both tv and receiver.

But you are all right, It probably would be easier to just run all thru the receiver and do switching from there. Im sure that she can get used to that. It'll then be an issue of how to optimize the audio settings. But since youve mentioned a remote capable of programming macros, getting one of those may possibly help things. I do believe that the Denon 1802 I have also has a memory for setting on each input. I just have to figure that out.

Thanks for all the input.