What's new

cabling question: (1 Viewer)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i have this cable i got from radioshack, and i dont remember exactly what it is was originally for.

it about 25' long, has gold RCA-type connectors on each end, there are actually two cables that are sort of bonded together (although its easy to pull them apart). one set of connectors has a white band and one has a yellow band (so i assume one was for video and one was for audio of some sort). oh yeah, the cable itself seems to be about a quarter-inch in diameter.

if anyone knows what it was originally for that make this inquiring mind happy, but thats not what is really important to me.

what i really want to know is if pull the two cables apart and use one to connect the sub-out on my reciever to my sub and use the other one to connect my computer to the reciever(i do have digital out on my sound card, and the creative live drive so i have an SPDIF out)

so is this cable going to do the job well for the sub? or should i buy a dedicated subcable? and will the other work? my initial thoughs are that they should work, but i thought i would get a better opinion, since i am admittedly new to this...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Although I am using a dedicated Monster subcable, this should work fine. You'd most likely want to use the white cable for this and the yellow to connect your PC to your receiver. I say this because the yellow cable (if it's really a video cable) should be 75ohm and will give you a better digital signal than the white cable.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
yeah, I've pulled RS cable sets apart, so I wouldn't be surprised if what you have is left over from a 3-wire assembly where "someone" previously stripped off the RED banded wire.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
(if it's really a video cable)
yep...that's a good question. even though i use the rat-shack stuff too, that video cable looks no different than the left/right. it's the same thickness, etc.

i'll bet it's the same cable with a different color connector...those sneaky petes!

in some of the other cabling i've seen the video cable is at least thicker...making me (probably falsely) belie that it's designed specifically for video.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
well the white one seems to work with sub alright, and the more i look at/think about it, its probably just using yellow instead of red, that makes more sense, because im pretty sure there was never a thirdwire to it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks