What's new

Cabling question for an apt. (1 Viewer)

Joe Brasi

Auditioning
I was just wondering what would be the best way to run the cable from a dish on my balcony to the STB inside the apartment. I live on the 1st floor of a complex.
Should I drill a hole or is there easier, more acceptable method to do this?
If I have to drill a hole from outside to inside, what materials and parts will I need to do it neatly and correctly?

Rick N

Auditioning
Find an section of the wall which is convient on the inside for attaching a wall plate for the cable connection. Also, it should be convient on the outside for bringing the wire in from the dish. The hole on the outsdie can be dresses up with a sleeve type grommet, availble from Radio Shack. In any case you will need to seal the whole on the outside with silicone caulk.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Joe,
Do you have a sliding glass door by chance? In my apartment, I bought one of those short flat coax pieces (about 3 inches long) and ran it under my sliding door runner. The door opens and shuts smoothly and completely and it allowed me to avoid drilling into any walls.
Best of luck,
~~Nathan
------------------
...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If you are planning on drilling, make sure that it won't break your rental agreement, or you could be in it pretty deep.
Glenn

Joe Brasi

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do have sliding glass doors and I would like to avois drilling because of the aformentioned reason. Where do I get that flat piece?

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Joe,
RCA makes a generic one. It's white. I bought one from Circuit City for $3-- they're located with all their satellite accessories or splitters/adapters. Radio Shack will have it, too.
Best of luck,
~~Nathan
------------------
...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
I would also recommend the flat coax. You MIGHT lose a little bit of signal strength if you shut it your door, but it's not been ANYWHERE near enough to effect my picture quality.
Wal-Mart also carries one for about the same cost as above...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks