Cabling from Satellite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Evans, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Auditioning

Hi all,
    I am having a home built and was wondering how many RG6 I need to run from the satellite location to the home run point.
    I am planning on installing a multi switch at the home run point. However, I want to make sure that I have enough RG6 between the satellite location and the home run point.
    I want to be able to use either DISH or Direct TV. I want to be able to get HDTV as well regular broadcasting.
    I don't care about high speed internet as I use a cable modem.
    Right now the house comes with 2 RG6.... is that enough?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You need 2 runs of RG6 for every LNB on your satellite dish(es). With Dish, you would need 6 runs of cable to your SW-64 switch in your home run location. With DirecTV you would need at least 4 runs of cable (6 if you want to receive signals from the satellite at 110 degrees).

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd buy a roll of it and DIY. You can always use what's left for new cabling between equipment.
    Glenn

4. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

You will only need 5 runs of cable for DirecTv, the 110 Sat Horn only has a single LNB.
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------
    If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!

5. Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Auditioning

Hi all,
    I am relatively new to this satellite thing... so, please bear that in mind.
    I am under the impression that in a 2 LNB system I would only need two RG6 if I have a multiswitch at the home run point. One RG6 for each satellite location and one satellite location per LNB.
    The understanding that I currently lack is with the addition of HDTV there is a new satellite location Dish.
    On Direct TV, I believe there are two satellite locations I would need; 101 and 119. My understanding is that 110 has only local channels for North Carolina and South Carolina. I think I can handle this using 2 RG6.
    On Dish TV, I believe there are three satellite locations I would need; 110, 119, and 61.5 (HDTV). For this I will need a dual LNB satellite (110 and 119) and a single LNB satelitte (61.5). This is where I am slightly confused. I believe I will need 3 RG6 to get the job done.
    Has anyone done this sort of setup. Or know why, this won't work?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jeff

6. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

You need to run a wire from each LNB to the multi-switch. If you are trying to get all three sats (DirecTv), this means 5 wires. On the dual LNB sat horns, each LNB is run at a different voltage allowing the signal to be split.
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------

7. Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Auditioning

Hi Darold,
    Thanks for your reply. I was told that each LNB had two RG6 connections. One connection carried one satellite information and the other connection carried the second satellite information. I was also told that I could take the first satellite location from the first LNB and the second satellite location from the second LNB. These two then would go into a multiswitch.
    Is this true?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

8. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

The LNBs (sat horns) can only face one satellite. The two "RG6 connectors" have the same satellite data just at a different voltage. For example, if the two wires were connected to two different receivers, you would get the same satellites transponders. To receiver a different satellite you need a seperate sat horn to look at that satellite. The signals from these two different sat horns are combined in a multi-switch so your single receiver can interpret the data. Please note, due to the voltage difference you need to correctly wire the inputs into the multi-switch.
    "I was also told that I could take the first satellite location from the first LNB and the second satellite location from the second LNB. These two then would go into a multiswitch. "
    If you only have a single sat horn you don't need a multi-switch, only if you have two or more sat horns do you need a multi-switch.
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If you are getting this built, you'd be much better off wiring the whole thing up now. That is why I suggested getting a spool of it.
    Every room should have at least a phone, coax and PC network connection (100BaseT). Don't sell yourself short. Have them send all of the wiring to one central room. There, you can buy equipment as it is needed in the years to come.
    I'm sure that you realize that in ten years, something else could come out that you'll 'have' to have.
    Glenn

10. Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Auditioning

Hi Darold,
    I just read this on the Channel Plus FAQ today regarding hooking up multiple receivers to one satellite:
    -- Begin Channel Plus FAQ Entry --
    So, how do you connect more than one satellite receiver?
    First, you must have a dual LNB. If you connect two DSS receivers to a dual LNB, one could be on the horizontal polarity on one LNB. The other receiver could be receiving the vertically polarized transponder channels on the other LNB. The two LNBs are independent. (Still with us?)
    If you want to connect more than two receivers to a dish, you will need a multiswitch. This device connects to a dual LNB and provides voltages that puts one LNB on the horizontal polarity and the other on the vertical polarity. A multiswitch has 4 or more outputs. Satellite receivers connected to the multiswitch are switched to the horizontal or vertical polarity, depending on the control voltage that the receiver puts out.
    http://www.channelplus.com/faq.htm
    -- End Channel Plus FAQ Entry --
    The only reason I brought this up is the person that is doing the wiring for the house (the builder does not allow DIY) insisted that 2 RG6 from the satellite location are enough. It seems that this would be true if there were only 1 dual lnb satellite. However, since dish requires two satellites if I want to also get HDTV the installer told me that he would run 4 RG6 from the satellite location at no additional cost.
    Best Regards,
    Jeff

11. Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Auditioning

Hi Glenn,
    Just FYI. The house I am building includes IBM's home director for structured wiring. I upgraded to the personal series.
    In any room that might have a tv I have 2 RG6 and 1 CAT5 at the TV location. In addition every room excluding bathrooms has at least 1 CAT5. Also, I have a whole house audio/video distribution point that has a RG6 for an internal feed. The dedicated home theater will also be able to distribute its audio/video through an internal feed. I am also going to prewire for infrared receivers at all locations that will use the whole house audio/video distribution point.
    Unfortunately, the builder does not allow DIY so I have to pay $60 for each CAT5 run and $73 for each RG6 run. Which is a fairly reasonable cost since I just had our new local office done at it was $95 per run for CAT5.

12. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Jeff,
    "First, you must have a dual LNB. If you connect two DSS receivers to a dual LNB, one could be on the horizontal polarity on one LNB. The other receiver could be receiving the vertically polarized transponder channels on the other LNB. The two LNBs are independent. (Still with us?)"
    This is applicable if you have a single dual-LNB sat horn. I.E., you are looking at only one satellite. If you want HDTV (from the satellite), you'll need two dual-LNB sat horns (if you are in NC or SC and want local channels, you'll need the third single-LNB, also known as the the Sat C kit). Which is what your installer is telling you.
    Sorry to hear you can't DIY. Luckily every house I've built (3 so far), I've been able to DIY the sat wiring. I'm learning more each time (maybe it's because they keep adding more each time [​IMG] )
    Best of luck,
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Way cool! I wish I could see it. At any rate, if it's free, have them put it in. You could always just tape them up at both ends. Who knows? They might come in handy later!
    Glenn