CableVision Digital Lineup Question..

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DeathStar1, Apr 6, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Does anyone know why their digital lineup blows so much? I mean, they only have 20 channels, a few HDTV channels, and the rest are movie channels that probably show the same set of movies over and over again...

Surley there must be more interesting channel choices to add than all those movie networks? Nasa TV sounds interesting...

2. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

it's all about the cash, cablevision looks to maximize revnue at every turn. Adding interesting channels that may cost more than a penny or two (ie golf channel, bbc america, TCM) they avoid and opt for package suites of the same old stuff becuase they get a huge break on margin.

that being said the only reason I am staying with them for now is there hdtv setup is free and there content is decent, they offer the mets, knicks, rangers, islanders in high def which is big selling point. currently at no extra charge.

3. Chris Pags

Chris Pags Auditioning

The repeated movies comment is valid, but you can't hang that on cablevision, that's the choice of the individual channels and the economics behind the decision are a discussion in and of themselves.

As far as the number of channels offered, what else do you want? I hadn't ever heard of Nasa TV until you mentioned it and to each his own, but it looks boring to me. If there's something exciting happening in space you can bet it will be on your local news. There are only so many other digital nets out there and the only one I find myself pining for is TCM. Their HDTV lineup stacks up well against all the other cable companies last time I checked. There's:

702 INHD
    704 NBCHD
    705 FOX (currently standard widescreen, but soon to be HD)
    713 PBSHD
    720 MSGHD (Knicks, Rangers, some Mets in HD when at home)
    725 FSNHD (Mets, Islanders, Devils in HD when at home)
    740 Starz HD
    744 Bravo HD
    750 HBO HD
    760 Showtime HD
    770 Cinemax HD
    780 The Movie Channel HD

The only glaring holes are ABCHD and ESPNHD and they'll probably come along by the Football season which is when I'd want them anyway. Other than that what's left? HDNet maybe, but you could probably argue that INHD is similar enough.

I'm moving into a Time Warner Area in a few months and I know I'll be missing those High Def regional sports and what I gain back won't nearly make up for it.

4. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Ahh, but to get all those channels you have to subscribe to each individual movie channel or get a package that includes them. There is no HD-exclusive package. Actually getting all those channels costs a small fortune. Notice Discovery HD isn't in the lineup. I just got Cablevision's HD box and I'm rather unimpressed by the number of HD channels in the basic line-up (essentially the broadcast channels, Bravo HD and INHD if you have the silver package). I have HBO and just got Showtime but I doubt I'll keep Showtime as they have very little true HD-in-OAR content. Most of it is upconverted and looks no better than regular broadcast.

And that Time-Warner doesn't have the sports channels isn't for lack of trying. Cablevision won't share them.

I'd get satellite but I live in a woodsy area with trees all around blocking the reception. [​IMG]

5. Chris Pags

Chris Pags Auditioning

Isn't that how all the other cable companies work as well? I don't think anyone is giving away an HD channel without the person purchasing the corresponding premium channel.

Fair point with regards to Discovery HD, I'd forgotten about them, but from what I hear about their offerings it's a fairly small loop anyway, and I think they're a premium as well on systems that carry them (not sure though).

My point is, I think the frustration your feeling is with overall high price of multichannel service which is high across the board rather than specific to our provider. I felt pretty much the same way until I started trying to figure out what channels I'll get in Manhattan through Time Warner and realized I'd be paying more money for digital service that appears to me to be not as good.

6. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I wish Shaw Digital had that many HD channels. All we have is CBS HD, ABC HD and NBC HD. [​IMG]