cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary-Bru, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Gary-Bru

Gary-Bru Auditioning

Hi all new member here also just brought k/k 520 TH receiver which there lies the question.. i had the dvd hooked up video part was s video and audio part i had as rca style cable, it all worked fine, but brother inlaw told me i should use coax for audio, so next day i went out and brought the cable hooked it up, and still all works fine except now when i go into speaker setup it shows up with no center speaker no rears can't change anything but could with the rca cable?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Gary. Welcome to HTF!

Lets be clear here.

You need a "Digital" or a "Video" RCA cable. You run from the coaxial-digital output on the DVD player to the coaxial-digital input on the receiver.

Remove the 2 RCA wires going to the analog input.

Thats it.

Now you go into your receiver setup menu.

First: you have to tell the receiver that when you hit the "DVD" button, you want it to look at the DIGITAL connection, not the ANALOG like you had it before.

Second: your speaker setup should be independent of the DVD/CD/VCR. So check it again.

Hope this helps.

Note: you CAN take one of your audio RCA cables and use it for the coaxial-digital connection. Many audio cables are actually made with video coax. But if you notice audio drop-outs every few minutes - this means the cable is not really 75 ohms (a video cable).

Hope this helps.

3. Gary-Bru

Gary-Bru Auditioning

yes i do have the rca cables unplug from audio and only have coaxial cable pluged in. (plus s-video) went through speaker setup again....and still only have left/right fronts. (which are set to large)and subwoofer (lfe) SO it took out my center and my surrounds. Laser disk player,satellite receiver,cd player all have RCA cable for audio and all speakers show up in speaker setup. if i change the audio coax back to RCA all is find again. oh one more piece of info in menu setup for surround select under mode it show up as doly digital, when using coax cable