What's new

cables (1 Viewer)

jeff cr

Agent
hi all,

putting together my ht setup and was wondering about cables. i have the a/v receiver, sattelite receiver, cd player, vcr and tv. right now i am running audio cables with rca ends for the audio, and the video is run using coaxial cable(video does not go through the receiver at all). the sound is pretty good and i was wondering if you guys are using shielded cables for all your audio cables. i just have the basic non-shielded audio cables. most of the cords are under 3 feet long. i'm wondering if sheilded cables make a big difference. thanks

David Gibbons

Auditioning
Dear Jeff,

I'm surprised that you have unshielded audio cables with the RCA connectors. I've not seen them for sale at the usual outlets. Did you make your own?

I believe that the "line-level" audio between components is supposed to be shielded.

Sincerely,

David Gibbons

jeff cr

Agent
i'm using the cheap ones you find at radio shack or walmart. maybe they are shielded. i know radio shack has the more expensive ones with the gold ends on them. i'm just assuming that the cheaper cables are not shielded but maybe they are

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeff. Welcome to HTF!

If your cables are about the same thickness as your CATV coax, then they are shielded.

If they look like 2 wires encased in plastic, like Walkman headphone wires, then they are not.

Decent cables can make a difference. The Radio Shack and AR (Acoustic Research) brands are all good for a good price.

I like the bundles of L/R/Video cables from Radio Shack for my VCR and CATV box because it really helps clean up the "cable clutter".

Good Luck.

Brian_C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I don't believe that cables of 3 feet or less will make a difference, if any at all. If you're done with equipment spending, then you make want to look at other cables though if it makes you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks