What's new

Cables (1 Viewer)

RobertJeffG

Auditioning
I have a new 5.1 home theatre system, running HDTV, Paradigm speakers, HK Receiver and I just came from Best Buy where the guy try to sell me 500.00 bucks worth of cables. I need a power bar, and this guy suggested I buy a 250.00 Monster Power Bar, and another 90 bucks for a digital fiber optic cable, and 100.00 bucks for component video cables, all by Monster.

I need some suggestions, I just walked out of the store, thinking I don't need 500 bucks worth of cables.

Also, which is better Fiber Optic or Coax digital?

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
There should be no difference between the optical and digital coaxial cable as all they are doing is transmitting digital signals (1's and 0's).

Don't get caught up in the cable thing and don't spend half your budget on cables. I just use some Belden cable from Bludjeans cable for my component cables. There are a bunch of companies on the internet that make quality cables that can be had for a lot less than Monster. I'm not saying Monster does not make good cables, but there are alternatives out there without giving up much quality.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased some of the Dayton component video cables from www.partsexpress.com and I am very happy with them and their build quality. I got a 12 footer for $30.40 and a 3 footer for $19.40. After seeing them I now plan to replace all my cables with Daytons.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
GEEEEZ. A hundred dollars for component video cables? They best be about 50 feet long!

You don't need to spend nearly that much money, and if you do want the best, a second vote for bluejeans cable. Pro-grade belden/canare is what all the studios use, and it carries full specs (something monster does not release). I paid a little over a hundred bucks for 30 feet of RGB cable (which is 5 wires, more than just the 3 for component). You're getting ripped off with the monster route.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'm still not sure where I stand on audio cables, but I can definitely say that when I upgraded to the Blue Jeans component video cable it was a very nice (and noticeable) difference. The build quality is excellent, and the shipping time was very fast. Even given all this, I don't think I paid but $60 for a 12ft cable. Thumbs up for this company and their product :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks